Garage Door Hinge Repair!!

Old 05-20-19, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Hinge Repair!!

Looks like the previous homeowner attempted to use an adhesive to secure the garage door support to the door itself (see image). The #3 hinge appears to be bent, and you can even see where sheet metal screws were added at some point to secure the hinge directly to the door itself.

Any thoughts on a solution here? Obviously, replacing the bent #3 hinge and trying to repair the bracket which it attaches to. Trying to figure out what my options are as I've been raising / lowering the door manually now while holding the hinge in against the door.

Thanks!
Dusty B

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-19, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 182 Posts
I hate to say it that's how many doors are made. If the back side of the raised lip where the screws ripped out I would get a strip of metal to fit in that area as a backer plate, drill it and replace the previous sheet metal screws with nuts & bolts.

bowlind1 voted this post useful.
Old 05-20-19, 05:57 PM
Thanks Dane! So the channel bracket that the hinge is screwed to is indeed supposed to be permanently fastened to the "raised lip" where the screws ripped out? There isn't much clearance there, but that may be worth a shot. Seems like it still may not provide much support, but I guess it doesn't really have to.

Old 05-21-19, 02:31 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
you can tech screw or rivet through the skin from the outside into the mullion to hold it in place, but you will see the screw heads. you might be able to remove the hinge and rivet it back to the skin

Old 05-21-19, 05:38 AM
We're contemplating changing out the entire door as the more I look at it, it appears that the strut across the top panel may also be bent from the lack of support.

The master bedroom is directly above the garage, and the ductwork responsible for conditioning the room is in the garage ceiling Given those two factors, I'm kicking around the thought of replacing the door for one with a higher R-value.

Any preference of garage door manufacturers? I'm a member at Sam's and the Amaar's are priced very reasonably, but I'm hearing they may not be the best. Coplay and Haas seem to be pretty well received. Just curious on what your experiences are with manufacturers and if one may be a better investment? Thanks!

Old 05-22-19, 02:24 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
I don't really like the hinge system on Amaar. I prefer Clopay, CHI, Raynor or Haas. Remember you get what you pay for, anything with a double steel sided section and foam injected will get you a nice rigid door with a better R value

Old 05-22-19, 03:52 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
I've had good service from CHI.