advice on shed placement

Old 06-18-19, 01:42 PM
advice on shed placement

I would like to build a shed. Local codes state based on my plat of survey in the attached illustration it must be set back 5 FT off property line. in my case I have a electrical and drainage easement stating 7.5 FT. that really sucks. its puts the shed into the middle off my backyard. Now i know why none of my neighbors did that. The guy next to me has his 3 feet off the fence. I am all for following the rules just wish they were realistic.

In addition my property has a number of mature trees outlined with the green circles.
the purple line is a built up flower bed that surrounds the patio.

the pink boxes are the only spots i think that can work, any advice?

Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  108.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-18-19 at 05:04 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-19, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure the electrical and drainage easement is on all 3 lines?
Do you intend to run electric to the shed? [now or later on] Which location would be the most convenient? Will the tree roots be an issue?

Old 06-18-19, 04:56 PM
Accessory buildings are always a bit of controversy!

In our community anything under 200 sq ft does not require a permit so that probably means people are putting them anywhere regardless of the setback requirements!

Not saying it's legal, just one of those gray areas!

Old 06-18-19, 11:13 PM
marksr- in reality the electric and drainage only runs along the very back property line. so it should not apply to the sides, but would in North Aurora, IL they require 2 copies of plat survey showing placement of the shed to scale, just like in my photo here. I guess i would have to make that case to the person approving the permit if i used the 5FT setback on the side. I do not plan to run electric, cant use solar either due to the tree canopy. will use temporary battery powered lighting.
The tree roots will be a problem as these are old mature trees and many have large roots just below the surface. its already a problem for the yard in spots. The spot in the corner would be more ideal for bringing items up to the house, there is a walkway on that side, but it would sit under two pine trees and catch lots of debris on the roof, possibly moss over with little sun, and roots may be a problem to establish foundation.
the other pink square is a better spot on the ground but i cant bring items up to the house through that side because of two very large planters.they only allow a slim path between them. This spot also provides more privacy as its a natural opening to the neighbors pool area, sometimes loud, but they play nice nice music and depends on who is wearing the bikini , haha. no tree debris and more light in this spot also.

Old 06-19-19, 02:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
catch lots of debris on the roof, possibly moss over with little sun
A metal roof my be a good idea. Debris won't attach itself as readily as it will on a shingle roof and they are easy to clean. Roots can be problematic. What region do you live in? [how deep is the frost line]

In our community anything under 200 sq ft does not require a permit
Locally it's only 100 sq ft but if it has a permanent foundation a permit is still required. Your local permit office will tell you what is needed in your locale.

Old 06-19-19, 08:28 AM
Given the 2 options for placement, I would choose the one that is closer to the garage, just because I can envision lots of times going from the garage to the shed or vice versa so I'd want them on the same side of my yard.

Old 06-19-19, 08:50 AM
Unless specifically stated in the easement documentation you are not prohibited from using or placing something in that area, only that the entity you grant the easement to has the right to use it. If you put a shed there and if it prevents the entity from doing what they need to do in the easement, you would have to move the shed at that time.

A shed could be placed in an easement that is granted for overhead wires as long as it does not violate any safety clearances required by the entity.

So you might be able to put your shed at the 5 foot setback (2.5 feet into the easement) in the easement area.

Old 06-20-19, 03:32 PM
thanks for the opinions. I live by Chicago. Im thinking like Dan, I dont wont to drag stuff across the back yard even if that is a better spot. Great point John. There is a storm sewer drain in that corner but i will build 7.5ft off the back property line and 5ft from the other property line. You can see the two green circles for large pine trees so i will go on the other side of that one pine close to the garage. There is some smaller trees in there i will have to remove first. Thats probably as good and functional as it gets. Thanks for the help guys.