Noise Level Chamberlain b970 vs Wall Mount Chamberlain RJO20

Old 07-06-19, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noise Level Chamberlain b970 vs Wall Mount Chamberlain RJO20

Hi All,

I'm trying to eliminate some noise in the bedroom directly above my garage. A large part of the noise is the cheap, builder-grade opener I have in there now. I'm shopping for a replacement and I'm having trouble determining which opener will be quietest for the bedroom above.

Easiest is something like the Chamberalin b970 - as my existing garage door opener is ceiling mount. However, after looking around, there is some talk that the wall mount types are also very quiet - Chamberlain RJO20. The problem with the wall mount is that I'd have to run all the wiring (sensors, opener, power) on the outside of my drywall. I don't particularly want to do this unless that opener is significantly quieter / prone to less vibration that the ceiling mount option.

Does anyone have experience with these and can say which of these is quieter? No manufacturers or testers seems to publish decibel levels for openers, so seems like first-hand experience is the only way to go. Any garage opener installers out there work with these before?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-19, 03:01 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Both are DC motors, and are much quieter than a regular AC motor opener. I would go with the traditional style opener rather than the jack shaft/wall mount opener if everything is already there. There is also a rubber isolation kit you can install to reduce sound/ vibration in the room above. Also metal rollers can create noise, switching to nylon rollers will help too.https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-Vi...gateway&sr=8-3

Old 07-07-19, 03:56 AM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
I have 2 Chamberlain conventional openers, they are belt drive, and probably the quietest I have owned, but if I'm up in the bonus room you can still hear them.

I think it's just nature of the beast, even if you eliminate the sound/vibration of the openier you still have the door physically opening, even when properly aligned and lubricated your still going to hear it!