Crumbling garage floor

Old 05-04-18, 01:51 PM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Crumbling garage floor

Any thoughts on how to fix something like this (it's probably like this on 1/3 of my floor):

https://imgur.com/a/Ajmep

I'm thinking of perhaps an easier/temporary-ish fix, but then putting some kind of tiles/rolled flooring (https://www.garageflooringinc.com/ perhaps) over it to make it last a long time.

I received one quote from somebody for a permanent fix, but he was honest and wasn't sure 'permanent' would go past 5-7 years or so. His quote was for $2,400 to resurface the floor (about 500 sq ft).

Do you think I could do this myself using something here: https://www.homedepot.com/s/concrete%2520filler?NCNI-5

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 05-04-18, 02:16 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I'm getting some quotes to have my garage floor epoxied. I don't see why he would say it won't last. An epoxy resin floor can last a long time. There are several companies that will give 5,10 and long warranties. Cost should be around 1500 to 4000 on a 20 x 20 typical garage.

My neighbor has had it for at least 10 years and it still looks good. The thicker the epoxy coating the longer it will last and the more it will cost.

I would not try to do it your self. You need patience and speed and know what you're doing. This si one area where experience helps.

Old 05-04-18, 02:47 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
I had mine done 17 years ago and it has just started in the last year or so to give up chips. The largest is about 3" in diameter, most are around 1/2". The biggest contributor to failure is subsurface moisture. I use the garage to work on everything, cars, tractors, store equipment, etc. It's been abused pretty well and has held up great. Most chips are where I work and have dropped stuff in the past. Not sure how they'd prep yours, they ran a concrete grinder over mine, it was smooth and had been poured about 2 years earlier.

Makes the garage like another room.

Funny story, they ran out of epoxy (3 car garage) when they started and only completed the 2 car side. When they came back in a couple of day and finished the 1 car side, the color was ever so slightly off (you can see if it's pointed out, otherwise nah). They wound only charging me 1/2!

Old 05-04-18, 06:15 PM
N
To clarify, I don't believe he was going to use an epoxy resin coating, it was just for some kind of concrete repair.

If you have a better/specific thought on what I should ask for please advise.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-19, 10:25 AM
N
Sorry to open this old thread again, but I never did hear back as to epoxy resin coatings vs. concrete leveling or what not.

Given the condition of my floor (https://imgur.com/a/Ajmep), is an epoxy resin coating something that can be applied as is, or does the floor have to first be leveled (either by sanding it all down or filling it in)?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-19, 02:02 PM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I do not think the products you showed from HD are what you need. Lowe's does sell a 20 pound paid of Sakrete Fast Setting Cement Patcher designed for 1/4 inch to 2 inch application. Rather expensive at $12.50 for 20 pounds and does not go far. I have recently used it on my driveway where the top layer of the cement had come loose. Being small areas, I could screed the mix for relative smoothness but it still looks like multi-color crap.

Your pictures make me believe you have the same problem as I have but you have already gone to the work of removing all the loose, top cement so you are ready to go. Is that right? I think you will have a very difficult time getting the project to look good but epoxy over the finished product would help. You are suppose to only mix what you can apply in 5 minutes and it does get stiff rather quickly.

BTW, on my project the cost of the pails of the special cement patcher was getting expensive so I cut corners and bought 60# bags of Sakrete high strength cement mix and used an old window screen to filter all the small agregates out, leaving only the concrete. Whether I saved money but will need to redo this sooner, I am yet to know.

Since you appear to have a surface ready to accept new concrete, I am wondering if you could form up a minimum height batter board around the area and simply pour new concrete-possibly with a small size aggregate from the ready-mix plant?

Good luck

Old 08-12-19, 02:05 PM
N
Thanks for the input and I actually have not prepped it at all. Any new pieces that come loose/crumble eventually get swept away/turn to dust/whatever, but we haven't actively prepped the surface in any way.

Old 08-12-19, 02:11 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I suggest you call a professional to look and get a quote. I don't believe any DIY work will hold up very well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: