Garage Door Springs-Replace With Thicker Springs?

Old 08-14-19, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Garage Door Springs-Replace With Thicker Springs?

GD torsion spring snapped. It's a 2 car garage, single door type with 2 springs. After measurements the replacement spring is supposed to be .207 x 2" Diam. x 22" Length.

Previously the door was not balanced, it always dropped. I don't know if that was due to springs being lightweight for the door size or simply the door just wasn't balanced.

I am curious if I can use a slightly stronger/thicker torsion spring like 218 or 225 but same length or closer for purpose of more durability and/or to match the door, if the snapped spring had not been matched to the door? I don't have the door measurements handy but I can get them later.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-19, 03:20 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Was anything added to the door that might make it heavier like insulation or reinforcing struts? Is there anyway you can weigh the door? I can tell you the right spring. Do you think the spring was previously changed and maybe the wrong one was installed?

Old 08-15-19, 06:44 AM
It's just a plain Jane door with nothing added. I will meas. size and weigh it tonight by placing a scale underneath.

Also the GDopener pulling cable got caught and snapped. So I will have to replace that too.

To answer your question "Do you think the spring was previously changed and maybe the wrong one was installed?"

That's a possibility. House is '89 built, been here for the last 10 years, this is the first time springs broke on us. I am sure the original springs have to have been replaced at some point by the previous owners. So I have no idea if these springs were the correct ones. But since they worked aok I just never had a need to look into them. Then I saw the whole door balancing act and that's when I wondered if these springs were, or not the correct size after all.

Old 08-15-19, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
I replaced one of my broken springs with a stronger one when the store didn't have that exact replacement and it worked fine. Try it and return it if it doesn't work, or call a local door installation co for help.

Old 08-15-19, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
The problem with replacing only one spring in a pair is... #1 the other spring has gotten just as much use and is weakened and #2 if they aren't identical in strength and the door will not move evenly.

Old 08-15-19, 07:36 PM
The door is 16 x 7, weighs 96.6 lbs.
Current Spring measures
L-22",
Inside Diam. -20,
20 coils->4"1/8".
Which per seller charts equals to a .207x2x22" size spring.

My questions

1-If even this is the correct size can I use a thicker spring, say .218 or .225, same diameter/length?
2-What is the effect of using a longer spring, just curious about this one.

3-Any opinions on quality, etc on these springs here and here.

Old 08-16-19, 03:32 AM
Is that the weight with no spring tension? or with one spring still wound? You need the dead weight to calculate... also the door doesn't look 16 foot wide. You can actually down load the app your self for free, It's called Solutions connect app by service spring corp. and calculate it yourself. I have bought springs from the first link you posted with no problems

Old 08-16-19, 03:32 AM
The door still has 1 spring in place, therefore tensioned. I was hoping to get the new springs together with the rods so I can loosen the one spring still in place. I suppose I can pick them at HD so I can get the correct weight.

I personally measured it, to L16xH7.

EDIT:

Current spring inside diam. measures is 2" not -20

If this is the correct spring for this GDoor does a thicker spring help as in lasting longer?

Old 08-17-19, 03:32 AM
A bigger diameter spring wire has to be longer than the original spring to be equal to the torque. Using a bigger wire size will give you more cycles with the spring. If you haven't ever changed a spring, I advise you to hire a professional. It's not worth a trip to the emergency room, you will spend more on the medical bills. I can't calculate what springs you need without the dead weight sorry.

Old 08-17-19, 04:45 AM
Wasn't able to make HD run but I will get that dead weight.
I have changed 2 in the past, very carefully like a porcupine approaching a female to mate.
Plan is to keep same diameter. Am thinking since the current springs size .207x2x22 handled this GD for 10+ years then a size larger say .218 or .225x2x22 will suffice? Or does going with a bigger wire size call for a longer spring?

Old 09-02-19, 10:53 PM
New trouble with

Settled for size .225x2x22, both installed aok.

I am dealing with a new issue. When the spring snapped the chain was caught in the movement and the cord snapped as well. Anyway I had a new spare chain which installed ok. When I connected the garage door the cords on either ends of the door are getting entangled in the spool wheels, and the door stops. Here are pics. It's happened twice and I can't figure out what's causing this.

Yes both cords started out tight, but when the door lifts about 3 ft off the cords jump.

Old 09-03-19, 09:52 PM
Any comments anyone?

Any comments/ideas anyone?

Old 09-04-19, 02:25 AM
Are the cables the same length? Are the cables the same diameter? how many turns did you put on the new springs? Was the door sitting level when you set the drums?

Old 09-04-19, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Does this happen at both ends ?
Those cables are held under tension from the springs.
If there is no tension.... the spring is doing nothing.

Old 09-05-19, 04:04 AM
Happens at both ends. There's tension alright. GD is disconnected from the opener. Am using a vice grip to lock it. When I release vice grip door lifts to about 3 feet by itself. I have had to adjust Spring windings from 30 (GD opened completely) down to 24.

These are same cables that have always been here with same length/diam. When setting drum GD was flat on the ground, no debris under GD.

From outside I observed when GD opens by itself measurements at each end from door to ground left side is 38-1/4" and right side is 40". The more GD opens right cable is just a tiny bit more tense than left side cable. At fully opened yeah left side has a visible slack. But when closed both sides are fully tensed.

Old 09-06-19, 02:32 AM
24 quarter turns divided by 4 = 6 turns. A 7 foot high door requires 7.5 turns that is why your cables come off. Your spring is larger than what is required for the weight of your door that is why your door won't sit on the ground. Your cables have to be the same length and diameter, door tracks have to be installed level and the sections have to be sitting level before setting the cables. My advice to you once again is to call a professional.

the_tow_guy voted this post useful.