G32801 Garage Opener - is it the motor or the logic board?

Old 08-22-19, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
G32801 Garage Opener - is it the motor or the logic board?

I called Liftmaster/Chamberlain support and after an hour of troubleshooting the tech said that I needed a new logic board. Then the call got dropped and when I called back I naturally got a different tech. Tech #2 wanted to start from scratch though he did it in 15 minutes and came to the conclusion that I needed a new motor. The good news is that heís shipping me one free under lifetime warranty though of course I have to pay for labor. I donít want to pay an installer to replace the motor only to find out that the thing still doesnít work.

The facts are these:

-about a year ago the remotes started failing intermittently. The wall mounted button never failed. This may or may not be related to the current issue.

-last week the door stopped moving entirely.

-the door opens manually with minor effort so it isnít a spring or rail issue. It stays up and closes easily.

-when I push the hardwired button or remote all I get is 2 seconds of humming.

-the shuttle is not jammed against the bolt.

-both sides of the belt are equally taut. (they feel like a gently stretched rubberband and squeeze together easily though arenít droopy)

-the light button on the wall panel works.

-there are 4 wires next to the learn button. tech #1 had me disconnect the leftmost 2 (red and white) but it didnít affect anything. I reconnected.

So what do you think? Board or motor?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-19, 03:32 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
First off I don't recognize that model number, are you sure on that? I have been fixing Liftmaster for 24 years and have never replaced or heard of anyone replacing a bad motor. I would say it's very rare. What you described could a bad capisator, motor locked up (you should be able to spin it by hand) or bad gear (broken or jammed somehow)

Old 08-23-19, 06:39 AM
First off I don't recognize that model number, are you sure on that? I have been fixing Liftmaster for 24 years and have never replaced or heard of anyone replacing a bad motor. I would say it's very rare. What you described could a bad capisator, motor locked up (you should be able to spin it by hand) or bad gear (broken or jammed somehow)
I see three slightly different numbers:
3280C
3280-267C

Is there any way for me to narrow this down? I don't want to pay for 2 service calls. Are any of these issues that I might tackle myself? My skills are modest.

Does it speak to the intermittent failure of the remotes and outdoor keypad? The interior button always works. I would think that a faulty capacitor would always work, or not work. Maybe I have 2 independent issues. Yay.

Thanks.

Last edited by dmaxdmax; 08-23-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 08:26 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Hi, is the motor spinning when you hear the hum?
Geo

Old 08-23-19, 10:54 AM
No, the motor isn’t moving.

Before this happened I never heard any unusual noises like gears grinding.

Old 08-24-19, 03:38 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
The intermittent failure of the remotes and outdoor keypad can be caused by interference from LED/ CFL or any FL or other electronics (these devices can transmit a signal to block radio signal from the remotes) or a faulty circuit board. Is there another door opener you can swap boards with to try and troubleshoot?