Garage Door - 2 or 3 layer?

Old 09-04-19, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door - 2 or 3 layer?

I was initially set on a 3-layer door, but after considering the other options I'm wondering if a 2-layer will be adequate. For the doors I'm looking at, the primary difference is just the 2-layer vs. 3-layer contruction which affect the interior durability. The R values are the same at ~6.5 (2-layer is 2" thick, 3-layer is 1-3/8" thick). Some other minor differences, such as the end stile finish (galv vs. painted) and the bottom seal retainer (steel vs. al). The garage door will be an aspect that rarely received direct weather.

The 2-layer has a thicker gauge outer compared to the 3-layer (24 ga vs. 27 ga), so one upside of the 2-layer is a beefier exterior. The inside of the 2-layer is the vinyl coated insulation.

So it seems it just comes down to how durable I want the inside panels to be. The 3-layer will be slightly quieter I guess, but I'm sure I'll be fine with either; anything is better than the 28 yr old rickety wood door I have.

I got a quote on a 3-layer door which seemed reasonable, but I'm still waiting on prices for the 2-layer doors. If the difference isn't substantial it will make my decision easier to just go with the 3-layer.

I would be interested in any thoughts you all have! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-19, 02:29 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
the 2 layer will last for the most part, but over time It will get holes and small tears that's inevitable. I recommend the 3 layer... stronger and will last longer.

Old 09-05-19, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I have two layer doors at home and in my warehouse at work where the insulation is exposed on the inside. I have three doors at home and after almost 20 years I still don't have any punctures or tears in the insulation. The two doors at work have a few dings and gouges in the insulation. They all work fine though. I think it comes down to your personal preference and budget.