unbalanced door loose pulley

Old 09-14-19, 04:19 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
unbalanced door loose pulley

The post from Johnknee prompted me ask this question.

Yesterday my son's garage door left take-up able pulley (as viewed from the inside) slipped on the torsion spring shaft. As a result the cable came off the bottom of the door hook and off the take-up pulley. The whole door shifted to that side.

Using whatever tools we could find including a crow bar,and an adjustable wrench I managed to shift the door and re-wind the cable back onto the pulley. Problem is that I could only tighten the cable around the pulley hand tight, hold the crow bar against the door and garage frame and try to tighten the two square head screws holding the pulley in place. I managed to get the door straight enough to easily open it by hand and using the opener. But the problem is that the cable on the right side is about a good 2" away from the door edge, while the best I could do is get the left cable only about an inch from the edge of door. It looks OK and it rides up and down OK, but it is not perfectly plumb. And I suspect it will slowly but surely shift back again.

My question is what kind of tool or technique is used to make the take-up pulley tight enough to match the other side? Using one's hand to hold the pulley is not enough.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-19, 03:43 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
It's hard to picture in my mind, can you post some pictures. The best/ safest thing you can do is vice grip the door open on both sides and then vice grip the tube so it can't move and then you can adjust the drums. The slot for the cable to hook into the drum should be very close to a mirror image from one side to the other, cables should be exact same length. Check the bottom fixture where the cable hooks on. Check cables for frays.

Old 09-15-19, 08:15 AM
1st pic This is not his door but mine. Exact same layout.

2nd pic. The two screws on this take-up drum apparently loosened and the drum slipped. That shifted the whole door to this side (left). The door was in the down position and could not be lifted up due to the shift causing it to bind.

3rd pic and 4 th pic. Noticed the cable. On his door it's almost hitting the edge of the door and the opposite side is at least 3" from the edge. After shifting the door using a crow bar I managed to get the cable tight enough to allow about an inch or so. Door now operates smoothly and will stay in mid position by itself.

If I read your instructions correctly, I should have the door in the up position, locked in place with vise grips. So when the door is in the up position that should align it so it's equal on both sides in relation to the door frame? Then loosen the take up drum so it spins freely on the shaft. Then re-wind the cable on the drum. Tighten the screws. This will give equal tension on both cables? The cable is in good shape. No frays or kinks.

Old 09-15-19, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When I had to fix the ex's door I watched this guy's videos, pretty good.

https://youtu.be/XzsQuFj5ygU

https://youtu.be/99-mbUX8mJw

Hope these help, just use a better ladder than he did.

Old 09-18-19, 02:27 AM
Norm, make sure you grip the tube so it can't move to... do it on the left side next to the left bearing, otherwise if you loosen the right drum the spring will want to pull the shaft to the right. If this happens you probably won't be able to close the door all the way because the spring will relax. Torsion springs grow in length when wound. If at all possible move the left drum to match the right drum, don't try to move the right drum, however you can make sure the set screws are tight. On that note... set screws should make contact with the tube and then be tightened 6 quarter turns

Old 09-18-19, 03:37 AM
I did put a vise grip on the tube or shaft and if it were turn it would be stopped by hitting the wall. However, the shaft never even moved a tiny bit. I never had to touch the right hand end.
The door is in fact working and rides very smooth along the tracks. I'm just concerned that it's not centered properly between the frame.
Since I'm not there and my son is unable to physically fix it, he may call a professional if it slips again.

Thanks for the help and info.

Old 09-20-19, 02:24 AM
If the door is pushed to one side check for a stuck roller. It's usually the top one on the side that the cable came off. Make sure all roller stems are lubricated and free to move within the hinge barrel.