Garage Door Insulation

Old 09-21-19, 04:14 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Insulation

I have a 5 panel wood garage door that is 8' high and 18' wide. I'm looking at providing some insulation as we near the winter months here in Chicago. Unfortunately the panels do not have any slots where you could slide in a rigid type of barrier. Looking for ideas on how best to insulate my garage door. Please advise.

Santo

Old 09-21-19, 05:07 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Are you willing to use some type of mastic to adhere it to the inside surface? perhaps something like paneling adhesive or cove adhesive or Liquid nails.

Old 09-21-19, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I've seen people glue on foil backed foam board and I'm sure it helps some but more effective is ensuring the hinge gaps are airtight as well the seals around the door and at the bottom are in excellent condition.

Old 09-22-19, 05:57 AM
S
A mastic adhesive or glue is something that I would use. What type of insulating barrier is suggested?

Old 09-22-19, 06:48 AM
Probably the 1" foil faced stuff. Or without the foil face. Either will do. I'm assuming it's an attached garage.
I have to ask. Why do you feel it's necessary to insulate the garage door. Many of my neighbors have bought new garage doors and paid an extra thousand for insulated. And for what purpose? It's a garage? Not used in winter except for car parking and cold drinks. I can't think that the cost of insulating the doors will offset any savings in heating cost.

edit...Besides without insulation it's easier to maintain the door such as hinge lubricating and tightening the hinges periodically. Plus no unsightly damage if you should hit the insulation and poke a hole.

Old 09-22-19, 06:55 AM
S
I appreciate your feedback. It is an attached garage and my thinking was that with winter coming anything that I can do to help retain heat in the garage would be beneficial. I am also looking at installing a ceiling mount heater so that will allow me to do some work during the winter months. If there is not much to gain from insulating the door then I will let that go.

Old 09-22-19, 07:06 AM
If you intend to do work in the garage during winter, then yes insulation will be a benefit if you're going to install a heater.

Old 09-22-19, 03:10 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Most new homes do not have insulation over the garage or in the walls of the garage, as a way to cut costs. If you want to retain heat in the garage during the winter months, you may want to put insulation in the garage attic. It will also help cool your garage in the summer months.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: