Advice on 100 year old garage wall that is in bad shape.

Old 09-23-19, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on 100 year old garage wall that is in bad shape.

I'm looking for advice on an old garage that has a brick exterior wall. I'm not sure it's savable ultimately, but I don't have a lot of details and I'd like to know more.

I'm planning on fixing the roof up, but if the walls are toast, not sure what to say.
  1. It's 100 years old, maybe had some repairs 50-60 years ago, no idea.
  2. The roof inside is on 24" centers, and only every other rafter has rafter ties, and I'm not sure there are any collar ties My intention is to straighten the crazy ridge bow and add rafter and collar ties.
  3. But - the roof has been pushing down on this brick wall forever and caused some cracks. The cracks are visible on the inside and the outside and the outside especially is looking bad.
  4. But I don't know how the brick wall is actually constructed.

I've included some photos, of the outside and inside, including one that is blurry but kind of shows how the wall might be built (this is an inside corner).

What I'm asking is:
  1. How is the wall constructed exactly? Do you have a link to how they would have done this 100 years ago in NW Ohio? It looks like 2 brick walls with a gap between...
  2. Can I do something to give this strength on its own, or not? What type of mortar would be best? I've read some things about testing for with/without lime, etc., but I'm new to fixing masonry.
  3. If the wall isn't strong, can I shore it up, for example but adding 4x4 posts at the wall from the roof down to the floor every 2 or 4 feet to take weight down to the cement floor?

Any thoughts or comments would be great, thanks!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-19, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While I'm aware of that type of construction I'm not very familiar with it. If nothing else, I'd erect a wood frame wall on the inside to support the new roof framing.

MOsswald voted this post useful.
Old 09-23-19, 04:51 PM
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
Agree with Marksr. The brick walls have deteriorated to the point the roof will eventually become unsupported and a new wood walls inside are needed to support the roof framing. I would reconstruct the roof framing with wider overhang so I could get the roof runoff further from the brick walls. Gutters and downspouts would help. Don't know the intended use here, but it's a classic cost/benefit consideration of repair or replace

Old 09-23-19, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
The wall looks like pretty standard brick construction. Two walls made with bricks in common bond pattern. That's basically a running bond pattern with some bricks turned sidways so you see the small end. In your case it's used to tie the two walls halves together.

The wall is still standing and mostly intact so I have to assume there is an adequate footer underneath somewhere. At the minimum I think the bricks need re-pointing. Beyond that you've got some difficult decisions to make. I would get some masons to take a look and see what they think. Seeing it in person they could better advise if they think the walls can be saved well enough to be worth re-doing the roof.