Add second set of sensors to garage door opener?

Old 10-04-19, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add second set of sensors to garage door opener?

Hi folks,

I am wondering if I could add another set of sensors to a garage door opener--put them in parallel with the other two IR sensors and mount them up high in the garage--I would like to detect if the liftgate is open on an SUV and prevent the door from closing on it!

It looks like they're mostly just 5V devices, so I imagine they aren't drawing much power. Has anyone tried this before? I could of course move the existing sensors up to the top of the frame, but then I'd lose the pretty important capability of stopping the door from closing on a kid.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-19, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As far as I know...... you cannot put two sensors on an opener...... or at least with most openers.
The receiver eye generates data pulses that get sent to the opener for processing. Two sets of data pulses sent to one opener would cause it not to close correctly.... if it closed at all.

The best way to have dual sensors is to have a second beam set interrupt the primary beam loop. This would require just a generic photo beam set like used for an alarm system.... not a garage door beam set. I could look one up if you were interested.