Best Finish for Garage Interior

Old 04-06-20, 02:26 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best Finish for Garage Interior

Hi All
My wife and I are American retirees currently living in Portugal so we can travel Europe (yeah, bad timing, I know). We may move back to the States soon. When we do move back, it will be to a 1940's house we inherited several years ago and are renting out. The house is in West L.A. and has all the basic upgrades--new plumbing, roof, electrical, etc., so our improvements will be mostly aesthetic.

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and want to set up a workshop in the house's stand-alone two-car garage. Right now, its the typical mid-century unfinished garage--exposed studs and rafters, etc. I want to finish the interior walls to brighten up the inside and make it more utilitarian. Since the house is in So Cal, climate control isn't a big consideration.

I'm thinking of insulating the walls, mostly for noise control, then finishing the walls with OSB and painting it. Since its a detached garage, I don't have to use fire-rated drywall. Then I'd run new electrical in schedule 40 conduit to add some receptacles. Since its a garage, I figure conduit will save me the hassle of drilling through the studs and cutting in receptacle openings in the OSB. The OSB will allow me to drill into the walls anywhere for tool racks, etc.

Does anyone have opinions/experience with finishing garages with OSB? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-20, 02:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
OSB is fine for your walls but if you intend to paint it you'd need to use an oil base primer. That will seal the wood chips preventing tannin bleed.

Mstimc60 voted this post useful.
Old 04-06-20, 04:02 AM
M
That's a great tip--thank you Marksr!

Old 04-06-20, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 444 Votes on 408 Posts
I've finished off part of my warehouse with OSB walls. Most common is 7/16" and is OK for walls but I went to 23/32 to have a little more bite for screws since I'll be using the walls for storage. Definitely paint the walls right from the beginning. Don't be tempted to say you'll do it later. Build the walls, and while they are clean and uncluttered go ahead and paint.

Mstimc60 voted this post useful.
Old 04-06-20, 05:22 AM
M
Good advice--thanks Pilot. I was thinking of the thicker sheets as well.

Old 04-06-20, 01:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 78 Posts
FWIW, I don't like paint in a garage because then every little ding shows. Baredrywall or OSB tends to tolerate a little wear and tear before you notice.

Old 04-06-20, 03:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 444 Votes on 408 Posts
Oh, but white walls make the room so much brighter. You'd swear you went to larger light bulbs. And with painted walls there's at least a chance that bug you smash will wipe off.

Old 04-07-20, 04:37 AM
M
Before we moved, we lived in the same house 26 years. Our garage was drywalled and primed but not painted. It only took me 25 years to get around to painting it!