Watersheild pressure treated wood

Old 04-10-20, 09:21 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Watersheild pressure treated wood

recently bought water shield pressure treated lumber from home Depot to build a woodshed I am wondering when it is okay to put a water stain and sealer on it. it has some special coating on it which I'm unsure how to tell if it is dry or not. It feels dry to the touch. I did try putting water on it which did bead up but this is to be expected with the type of water shield that is on it. Has anyone used this material?

Old 04-10-20, 11:00 AM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
It takes a good year to allow the PT wood to dry out, seal/paint before the water escapes and the top coat goes right with it!

Old 04-10-20, 11:12 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I bought Thompson water shield stain/sealer. Theoretically I should be able to apply that to the wood now then.

Old 04-10-20, 12:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I'd return the TWS, while it does a good job of sealing the wood from moisture it's short lived and does little to prevent the wood from turning grey.

Usually you can stain treated wood somewhere between 6 weeks and 6 months - it depends both on how wet it was from the PT process when nailed up and the climate it's exposed to. I'd recommend a toner or translucent stain over TWS. A semi-transparent stain would likely look good longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: