Blonde moment, garage door disaster!

Old 06-17-20, 09:13 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blonde moment, garage door disaster!

Hi all!

Yesterday as I was backing up out of my garage, I didn't notice that the garage door hadn't gone all the way up; it stopped about 8" from the top. So I backed up, heard a horrendous noise, and thought I had ripped the luggage rack off my van. Turned out I ripped the entire garage door aluminum retainer and weather seal off the bottom of the door.

Oh ... and I also dented the door a bit.

I need help finding parts for the door as I think it should be fixable. It's a C.H.I. door, 8-10 years old. The retainer is 15 feet long, and 1.75" wide. I'm attaching photos for reference.

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
--Carol

Old 06-17-20, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 905 Votes on 831 Posts
Easiest thing to do would be to just order a new bottom panel from CHI that would come with the new weatherstrip attached. Replacing just the weatherstrip won't fix the dent, unless you dont mind it.

Old 06-17-20, 10:09 AM
T
XSleeper, That is a really great suggestion, thanks! Hubby would rather just replace the retainer and weatherseal ... money is an issue right now. ;-)

I don't necessarily mind the dent; it's not too bad. I've looked online and can't seem to locate a retainer/seal combo that matches ours. Does it have to be an exact match, as long as the length and width are correct? I re-measured the door, it's actually 16' wide x 7' tall. The retainer is 1.75" wide.

Old 06-17-20, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 905 Votes on 831 Posts
Contact your local CHI door distributor and send them an email of your photo. They can hook you up with the right weatherstrip and parts.

Old 06-17-20, 02:15 PM
T
XSleeper, I did just that! I'm waiting to hear back from them. Thanks again.

Old 07-05-20, 06:52 AM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Hi, you may be all set , but would this work?
https://www.northshorecommercialdoor...rseal-kit.html
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: