Need to extend carport

Old 06-25-20, 02:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to extend carport

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place. Maybe a moderator can move it if it's not where it should be.

We've got a carport that for whatever reason, the previous owners didn't bring all the way to the house in a couple of places. (see pictures)

We'd like to keep rain from falling onto the carport, and we'd like to be able to access our storage room attached to the house without getting wet.

We've thought of using clear, corrugated plastic sheets to bridge the gaps, but we have no idea what we're doing or how to attach sheets like that. Would they need to be slightly elevated to allow the water to run to the top of the carport?

We're open to any and all suggestions we might be able to do ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-20, 02:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
I assume those openings were left so it didn't get too dark. Can you provide a couple pictures from further away so we can see the slope of the carport roof in relation to the eave/gutter on the house? Initially I think anything after the fact is going to look like a Band-Aid at best and likely will have drainage/water issues.

Old 06-25-20, 03:54 PM
D
Do these pictures help at all? The tree and a storage shed were in the way of me getting a good shot one on side.

What we're thinking of is something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-2...1697/100021329

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-25-20, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
Thread moved to the car port forum.
Don't mean to be disrespectful but that is certainly an "interesting" way to do a carport.

That plastic panel has 0 support. It needs a frame to be built to hold it up.
What are the dimensions of the red and purple lines ?
Same down by the star if you're trying to fill that in too.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-25-20 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 08:36 PM
D
Pete,

I'll get the measurements tomorrow. No disrespect taken on your comment. I didn't build the carport or have it built. Just trying to make it livable.

We can stay dry from car to the door, but the carport gets soaked as the rain pours in.

We've asked many, many times, "Why in the world would the original owners of this house have had that carport built that way?!?"

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Donna J; 06-25-20 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 09:22 PM
D
Is it common to announce that information? If someone wants to say where they live or where they're ip is coming from, shouldn't that be their place to do that instead of being "outed" by a moderator?

You could easily speak of a part of the country or a particular climate without being specific.

You may not realize it, but some people post while traveling.

Would you please edit the state names out of your posts concerning me?

Old 06-25-20, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
My apologies. Information removed.

Old 06-25-20, 09:56 PM
D
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Old 06-26-20, 07:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
I don't see a good way to direct the water from those areas onto the house's roof or the carport roof. That leaves pitching your roof addition to the ends. The smaller opening might be done with flat or corrugated panels. The other, much longer opening will be difficult. You could get a little bit of fall/pitch but I think you will have trouble with leaves & debris from the tree creating a dam and holding water.

Old 06-28-20, 07:38 PM
D
PJMax Sorry to be so late getting this to you. The starred area is what we're really interested in improving. It is 46 inches by 146 inches.

We're open to anything we can do ourselves to help this situation.

Thank you!

Old 06-28-20, 07:41 PM
D
Pilot Dane, it is the longer area we'd like to cover. So....even if we got a company to do it, do you see no good way to do it?

Old 06-29-20, 05:21 AM
M
Received 135 Votes on 125 Posts
May be I am missing something but I do not see any eave trough along the sloped roof edge so all the water from that roof section runs down onto the carport roof.

Is this correct?

Old 06-29-20, 02:40 PM
D
Manden, You aren't missing anything. I've posted a picture of the only rain diversion that's up there now.

Water falls in front of the turquoise door (storage room) and onto the carport. It's ridiculous.

We'd like to keep the carport dry and be covered when walking from the house to the storage room.

Old 06-30-20, 05:49 AM
M
Received 135 Votes on 125 Posts
First I would install a eaves trough along the sloped roof facia.
I have never done this on a soffit like yours so with luck others will jump in with some help.

The next suggestion will depend on the aesthetics and head room.
You could mount clear corrugated panel under the open area or within the open area and sloping it so the water drains off.

Old 06-30-20, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
The trouble is you have a long area that must be drained to the narrow edge and all edges are roughly the same elevation. That does not allow for fall/drainage which can be OK with one continuous roof but can create a leak point when adding something on after the fact.