Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

Bottom of garage door doesn't seal at the ends, pics included. Two car garage.

Old 09-02-20, 08:53 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Pictures of the project: https://imgur.com/a/4ANqVRQ

It is a two car attached garage. Standard metal door. Along the bottom is a track the seal sits in but on the two ends the track is not there and the seal is held on with a bolt causing it to fold up and not touch the ground when the door is closed.

On the last picture on the link you can see the light coming through when the door is closed, same on both sides.

Not sure what to do here, any advice on how to get this fixed so the door is sealed all the way across? With how the ends are bolted on and the seal is bent, it needs to be adjusted somehow but dont know which was to do it.

Old 09-02-20, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
Get a piece of dowel maybe a foot long that fits snug inside the bulb and shove that in each end. .

Last edited by XSleeper; 09-03-20 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Removed bad advice, wasn't thinking of the cable!
Old 09-02-20, 09:20 AM
P
Like one of those wood ones from Home Depot? The ones with the colored ends based on thickness.

Old 09-02-20, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Yes. Not sure what size you will need. Maybe 3/4".

Old 09-02-20, 09:47 AM
R
Received 42 Votes on 33 Posts
You might consider replacing the seal with one that isn't deformed and if you have a door opener you might also adjust the downward travel a little more.

Old 09-02-20, 10:50 AM
P
I will go to the store and check both the replacement options as well as the dowels.

If I go the dowel route, how do I keep it secure to make it so it doesn't slide around when the door opens or closes?

Looking at the replacement options, many of what I am seeing look similar, they are all long strips of the same rubber I have and the directions say to insert them into the door in a u-shape. That won't help the ends of my door then as the door itself doesn't have the track at the end of the door.. The track gets to where the bolt is holding the seal down but after that it's just hanging there:

Old 09-02-20, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Thats why I said to get one that fits snug. It won't slide around. Your photo shows the bulb it bent upward on the ends when the door is closed. A tight fitting dowel will force the bottom of the u shaped bulb down when the door is closed. If you see light over the top of the bulb and dowel when it is closed, just caulk it with a black silicone (or similar) when you are going to be leaving the door closed for 24 hours or so.

If your bulb is ripped you obviously need to get a new one for this to work as I described. Put zip the around it after the dowel is in place if it helps hold it together.

Old 09-03-20, 03:06 AM
Received 26 Votes on 26 Posts
DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE BOTTOM ROLLER BRACKET... it is under extream tension and you will get a trip to the emergency room. Stuff the ends of the bottom seal with bubble wrap or foam

bidaci voted this post useful.
Old 09-03-20, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
Wow, nice catch. I wasnt thinking of the cable!

Old 09-03-20, 05:00 AM
P
What is the bottom roller bracket so I don't do that?

Here are two pictures of what the door looks like when it is closed. The concrete itself is flat, it's the rubber that is folded up at the end.

For the foam option, do you just mean packaging foam, styrofoam type of stuff? Just jam some in there? For the dowel option, what would I zip tie it onto?

Old 09-03-20, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
The bracket with the roller in your very first photo. The cable (and thus the spring) is attached to it.

Old 09-03-20, 05:12 AM
P
Oh, okay I wont touch that.

I have been watching videos on replacing the seals and on most doors they all look very straight forward with the U channel all the way across from end to end. On mine, as the pictures show, the channel ends before the edge of the door.

See how the end in the circle there is just metal and the bracket at the end? That doesn't match with what all the guides say about it fitting from end to end. Is this an older designed door or something?

Old 09-03-20, 05:18 AM
Group Moderator
Yes it's an old door.......

Old 09-03-20, 07:18 AM
Received 94 Votes on 80 Posts
If you can't get a good seal by modifying or stuffing the existing rubber seal, consider cutting it back slightly and glue a foam or wood block to the floor at the end of the door. Size it for the door to land tightly on top of it and with the rubber seal snug against the side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: