Garage door motor toast?

Old 09-18-20, 03:29 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door motor toast?

Hi, so the wall button does nothing at all. There is a plastic/burning smell and black marks on the top of the side of the opener. I haven't removed the cover completely but peeked in with a light. All seems well but there is that smell... If its toast, how hard of a DIY job is replacement? Some research shows its not so easy for a moderate handy guy like me.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-20, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
A make and model or at least a picture would be needed to offer further help.
How-to-insert-pictures.

Some units are easy to service and some are a dog. Typically you'd unbolt the unit from the hanging brackets and lower it down so it sits on a ladder. The door end remains connected to the wall. The door is disconnected from the drive trolley. The door must be kept closed.

How old is the unit ?
A motor could be half the cost of a new unit.

weigojmi voted this post useful.
Old 09-19-20, 04:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
It could either be the motor or the control board. My guess would be the control board... but it's just a guess. Installing a garage door opener isn't particularly difficult. If you buy a consumer model they come with very detailed step by step installation instructions.

Old 09-19-20, 09:26 AM
W
Its about 14 years old. You can see the burn marks at the upper left. I did notice the control board is also flush on that side.

Old 09-21-20, 06:34 AM
W
So it looks like the board is scorched. Possibility of more damage or should be good just with board replacement?
I found this which looks like the correct part? https://www.amazon.com/Genie-Garage-.../dp/B002P5TZ8Q

Also, I read about some possible board modding could be needed but wasn't clear to me. Or should this just be a 1 for 1 swap?

Old 09-21-20, 07:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
Possibility of more damage or should be good just with board replacement?
That's impossible to say without looking at it more closely. I can see a burn mark on the bottom side of the board but can't see what got burned on the top. Did the board fail because of a component failure on the board or did it die because a motor or sensor elsewhere is bad and took the control board out???

Also, I read about some possible board modding could be needed but wasn't clear to me. Or should this just be a 1 for 1 swap?
You have not provided your model number so you will have to look into whether or not that control board is for your model opener.

Old 09-21-20, 08:02 AM
D
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
When this happened to me from lightning strike near by. I found it was easier and less expensive to change the unit out than to purchase replacement parts from the mfg. The mother board alone was almost the cost of a new opener.

Recommend that you install a surge arrestor on the outlet for the garage door when you replace or repair.

Old 09-21-20, 08:38 AM
W
Sorry, I thought Overhead Door "Python 2" was enough to identify the opener. Unfortunately, I don't see a model # specifically but maybe these numbers

help?

Old 09-22-20, 05:50 AM
C
Received 97 Votes on 76 Posts
I did a quick look on line and a control board for a Python GDO sells for $75. If you don't know why the board fried then you are taking a chance on frying the new one.
I installed two belt drive Genie door openers in my garage last week. From scratch it took me less than a day. Install is simple, no special tools required and the instructions are easy to follow.
My advice - it's time to replace the opener. A replacement opener should be less than $200.

Old 09-22-20, 06:06 AM
W
Thanks, as far as reason why it burned out, I get the concern. Suppose the good news is that the other opener (we have 2 doors in the garage) is running fine so I'm assuming its not house electrical issue of some kind. I'm leaning towards replacing the opener since its 14 years old but it is temping to just try the board for ~$70 first.

Old 09-22-20, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
What burned was the motor control relay area. It could have been from poor solder connection. One of the relays could have blown up. I don't think a defective motor would have caused that type of damage although without me inspecting the board..... no guarantees. I would repair the board. In your case I'd say try a replacement board. In the link below is a good choice if the board is the same as yours.

Replacement board on ebay.

Old 09-23-20, 05:37 AM
W
Here's a better pic of my board.

Any reason not to get the this one from Amazon? Looks the same to me, is new, cheaper, and gets here faster...

https://www.amazon.com/Genie-Garage-.../dp/B002P5TZ8Q

Old 09-23-20, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Should be the same board as long as the part number on the tag matches.

Old 09-26-20, 12:51 PM
W
So I replaced the board. Seems to be the correct one. The door was closed and when I pushed the wall button, it opened normally. But it won't close. Button does nothing. Any idea?

Old 09-26-20, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Does it make a click inside the unit ?
Check the door sensors. One should be always lit and the other lights up when beam is ok.

Old 09-26-20, 02:57 PM
W
No click from unit and sensors look good. One green, one red.

Old 09-28-20, 05:11 PM
W
Chatted with Genie who after some troubleshooting said to also replace the close limit switch. We'll see.

Old 09-30-20, 02:45 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
In my opinion, the python is one of the worst openers ever produced, I would just replace. I have replaced many over the years and I don't know why someone thought pushing a roller chain down a channel would make for a smooth and reliable operation.

Old 10-02-20, 04:29 PM
W
Also replaced the close limit switch, adjusted the force settings, and all is working again. Lets see how much more life this thing has. Thanks for the help.