Closed garage door on tail gate .... again!

Old 10-01-20, 09:50 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Closed garage door on tail gate .... again!

Last weekend I left the tail gate down on my truck and closed the electric garage door down on it. It made contact with the tail gate and then reversed direction and completely the open cycle.

It has been running fine ever since and there is no visible damage to the assembly. I can't believe I did this a second time. I did the same thing in 2017 and I had to replace a damaged garage door.

How come the garage door didn't reverse direction when this happened in 2017? It just kept pressing down on the tail gate till the garage door buckled and bent.

For the latest incident, should I have it inspected or adjusted? Like I said, it works fine.

Old 10-01-20, 10:38 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
Openers are supposed to reverse when they hit something, it's an adjustment on the opener, I guess I would be digging out the instructions and going over that section to see about adjusting!

Old 10-01-20, 10:47 AM
C
Received 136 Votes on 109 Posts
t sounds to me that your door functioned exactly as designed. If there is no visible damage I wouldn't worry about it. If you are still concerned dig out the manual and perform a force control test. Or you can lay a piece of 2/4 on the ground where the door will rest on it when closing. Lower the door and when it contacts the 2X4 it should reverse. If it doesn't do that the GDO force control needs to be adjusted.

Old 10-01-20, 11:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 861 Votes on 794 Posts
I've had to replace panels on two of the doors at my house (luckily, my wife's fault). The down torque setting on the openers were set too high. There was an obstruction and the opener just kept pushing and the door was the first thing to yield. One opener was the professional installers fault but the other opener I installed. I just never bothered to adjust the torque settings from how they came out of the box. Live and learn... it only took me two doors and shy of $2k before I got smart adjacent.

Old 10-01-20, 01:34 PM
B
Ok. So apparently my previous garage door back in 2017 was out of adjustment.

Wow. I'm sorry to hear about the money you lost on your mistake, Dane. My painful lesson cost me $780.00 back in 2017.

I was in the habit of using my pick-up truck tail gate as a work bench. BAD idea. That ends now.

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 10-01-20 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-13-20, 08:46 PM
B
I don't think there is a problem with this. We can close out this discussion, Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: