Wonky garage door or operator

Old 11-18-20, 08:49 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
Wonky garage door or operator

I would like you to look at two videos. This is a two car garage with both doors installed at the same time in May of 2004. Both have Craftsman door operators. The operator on the right (not shown) is older than the one being videoed.

In almost all cases the opener/garage door functions smoothly without hesitation. The one on the right always operates flawlessly. The left one in the video on many occasions will hang up as you can see. It happens often enough that I canít rely on the MYQ WiFi app to close the door without being there. Sometimes itís so bad that I must grab the bottom of door and pull as I operate the opener. Other times it just hangs a few times then goes down smoothly. Opening the doors has no problems. It took me a week to get the opportunity to have it happen and video it. It had been working perfect for a week until now. When it happens it seem as though the upper panels are loose and the push of the operator pushing the panel against the lower panel causes enough of a pressure to cause the safety feature to retract the door. However the panels seem to be tight and in proper position.

Both doors are well balanced. No obstructions are in the way. I periodically check all bolts and screws on both the door and the rail framing. Without the operators attached the door goes down smoothly. At least it seems to. I canít really tell if it hangs if I pull it down manually. I had thought that maybe temperature had a hand in the problem, but it seems to happen regardless if itís cold or warm. However, itís more annoying in summer only because I use it most often in summer. Winter not so much.

Any idea what may be causing this door to hang? Is it the opener or the door?

https://youtu.be/iEPUiHZGQmE

https://youtu.be/hTznuo_PzuE

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-20, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
Norm.... you need to set the videos as public. They are currently private.

Old 11-18-20, 12:31 PM
Oops!
Should be OK now._______________________________________________

Old 11-18-20, 01:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I recently had a sort of similar issue. The opener was exceeding it's torque/power set point. In my case it turned out to be the torsion spring for the door. Over time it corroded slightly so the coils had a lot more friction when sliding past each other. A thorough lubrication of the spring took care of it. I had to make sure to soak it good so the oil could get down between each coil.

Old 11-18-20, 01:04 PM
Interesting point. I'll try it. Nothing to loose and it might prevent premature breakage.

Old 11-18-20, 01:05 PM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
Norm - look at what your trsion spring is doing. Mine was sticking/stuttering on the opening cycle. The setscrews on the torsion spring were slipping.

Old 11-18-20, 01:28 PM
Well you both pointed me in the right direction. I took a close look at the torsion spring and the axle rod and did not see any scoring, scraping or marks on the shaft. Everything felt nice and tight.
Then I noticed that the chain had an awful lot of slack to it. Not the 1" that's typical. So I re-adjusted to the 1" slack as specified in the manuals. It sounds and seems a lot smoother. Over the next several days I'll be able tell if it in fact is fixed.

Old 11-19-20, 03:31 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
If the chain had slack, chances are the top bushing is worn and may be time for a new gear kit. remove the circuit board and look for black powder or metal shavings on the top side of the planetary gear, that is a tell tale sigh. Also what is the down force set at? Lastly is the top section reinforced, it's hard to tell in the videos and I highly recommend it especially with glass section in the top.

Old 11-19-20, 05:30 AM
Doorman, Thanks for the feedback. I haven't looked at the gear set yet. But yes, the front top section is reinforced. Don't know how to measure the down force, but to force it back up will take enough pressure on my shoulder that it pushes my down just a tad. Maybe a little more than what's recommended.
If the door continues to have problems I'll check out the other items.

Old 11-20-20, 03:26 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Norm, your down force sounds about right, I do the same and run it down on my shoulder to see how hard it's pushing. There are two dials on the circuit board that controls up/down force. I usually set them to about the 6 O'clock position or half way on the dial. A lot of people miss this step on the initial install and leave it on the factory settings (minimum)... it usually works for a while but later needs a little more force added for even a well working door.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-20-20, 05:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Also, don't crank up the torque settings because more is better. If there is an obstruction under the door you want the opener to stop or reverse before it can damage the door. If the torque setting is too high the opener will bend the top panel if something is blocking the door (ask me how I know...).

Old 11-20-20, 06:08 AM
PD...said
ask me how I know..
I'm asking!