Lift master Garage door trolley issue

Old 02-24-21, 11:15 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lift master Garage door trolley issue

I have a chamberlain lift master 1/2hp opener. I’ve set the upward and downward travel perfectly and with door not attached it seems to work fine. When I try to attach the door and open it makes a grinding sound and stops. Also does it if I attach door the up position and try to close. Coupling is good and everything appears to be fine with the mechanical aspect of the motor and drive. Any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited by drob1717; 02-24-21 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 11:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Chamberlain makes a lot of openers. Which model do you have? Or, at least tell us if it's belt or chain drive or wall mounted.

Where is the grinding noise coming from? That would be a good place to start looking for a problem. I'm guessing it's somewhere in the power head. It could be a stripped gear or maybe the belt tension is too loose and the belt is slipping on it's sprocket.

Old 02-24-21, 12:20 PM
D
I’m sorry it’s a screw type trolley system. The grinding is the trolley itself. The tab the carrier attaches to will travel just fine along the trolley until I attached the carrier arm/door. Then it makes the grinding sound when I try to open or close. The door is balanced and moves freely manually.

Liftmaster model #2220

Old 02-24-21, 12:27 PM
D
Old 02-24-21, 02:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
First I would confirm that the carriage is completely/firmly locked onto the shaft. Don't just pull the cord in that direction but get up there and make sure the lever is fully in the locked position and not sitting partially closed.

Old 02-24-21, 03:34 PM
D
Yep I did that after I posted pics. Disconnected the arm from the carriage and ran the opener up and down and it moved the carriage perfectly so it doesn’t like something about the door. It feels balanced staying shut when down, halfway open and then stays up. Nothing has been changed with the torsion springs so I don’t how this issue arose.

Old 02-25-21, 03:18 AM
Received 41 Upvotes on 41 Posts
if the screw is spinning when the door stops, it probably an issue with the trolley. If the screw stops spinning when the door stops i believe there is a coupler that goes bad.

Old 03-02-21, 05:16 PM
D
Sorry for the delayed response. The coupling is good and it will turn the screw and move the trolley up and down the rail if the door is detached. When I attached the door it will not move it up from the down position or down from up. The balance of the door seems to be fine and not too difficult to lift in manual. Certainly would think it would be able to move down from the up position. The screw seems to make a grinding sound either direction.

Old 03-03-21, 05:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
When the door is connected to the carriage, you hit the button and it doesn't move and makes the grinding sound, is the shaft turning? This will tell if something is stripped in the powerhead or if the carriage is stripped.

Doorman2722 voted this post useful.
Old 03-08-21, 02:20 PM
D
Thanks for the response. Yes the motor shaft is turning and the coupling is in tact. The screw shaft will spin as well but it will not move the carriage in either direction.

Old 03-09-21, 05:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
So, then the carriage is stripped out?

Old 03-17-21, 08:07 PM
D
I ordered a new carriage track so I guess I’ll find out soon. I assumed that when it travels without the door attached that it was operating properly, but maybe with the weight of the door added the stripped threads won’t allow it to travel. I really appreciate the help, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Old 03-24-21, 04:14 PM
D

Well it took a while for the new carriage to come in but it was absolutely the fix. Door is traveling smoothly up and down. I suppose the teeth would bite just enough with the door detached but would not move the door when reattached. Thank you guys for all the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: