Sealing garage door base

Old 04-09-21, 07:35 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Sealing garage door base

There's a slight gap in part of my garage door where it contacts the floor. I've got a rubber bumper on the base and in an area that's about 18 inches long that is very slightly depressed causing this gap. Is there a way I can adjust the door closing somehow to get it to shut the door all the way to seal this? I see two adjustments on the opener but when I adjust them it immediately opens again once it starts to close.

Old 04-09-21, 07:42 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Short answer is NO!
Your floor must be level. Any adjustments on the door will not compensate for an uneven floor. Those door adjustment will act or react upon the highest point of contact with the floor.
The only way to get perfect sealing is fix the floor. Or you might be able to add a very soft type of material to the under side of door so it fills the gap. But you have to make sure it does not actuate the sensors.

Old 04-09-21, 09:01 AM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Understood. So is there a way to fix the depression in the floor? Just fill it in?

Old 04-09-21, 12:36 PM
All depends on how much you want to spend to fix a slight rise on a floor. Unless you a very large gap it most likely not worth it. Is it a concrete floor? Just filling it in won't hold. Send some pictures with the door closed so we can see the gap. You might want to attach some foam on the door bottom to compensate for the gap.

Old 04-09-21, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
A new garage door bottom weatherstrip may be full and flexible enough to cover the gap. You can also stuff some foam backer rod or a wood dowel into just the last few inches to keep it full. You might need to get creative and taper the dowel.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-09-21, 03:34 PM
Oh! I like that foam backer idea. I'll keep that one on mind. Several years ago I installed new rubber gasket bottoms and within a year it was pretty much flat. Now their totally flat with no flexibility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: