Garage Placement Ideas

Old 06-09-21, 05:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Placement Ideas

Hi Everyone,

We're looking at having a garage with living quarters built on our property here in central Florida and i'm hoping to get some opinions, ideas, and information that aren't my own regarding where to put it on our property, how it might be best used, and anything else that people who perhaps have built garages already might have thought of or come across.

My hope was to build right off of the side driveway pad so that i could take advantage of concrete that is already there, and easily park in the garage as needed. I haven't had an in-person talk with the zoning/building department, but on the phone they said that it couldn't be past the edge of the home unless it was part of the home. I could easily understand why they might prefer not to have a freestanding garage sitting in front of the main home, but the driveway is actually located in the side of the house. Perhaps it's just a blanket rule that covers all sides.

According to the zoning requirements, in order to qualify as an attached structure, it must share a wall or roof with the main building. I'm not sure if a covered breezeway would qualify. That would probably be a good question to as them in person.

If i cannot build it off the pad, that leaves the right side of the property or the area behind the pool. Both would sadly require driving through the yard and both locations are rather far from the main building.

We are also looking at having a metal building constructed, as they seem to be quite a bit cheaper than traditional construction at present.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-21, 05:42 PM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
The only thing I will never have again is a south facing garage, just too damn hot with the doors open in the summer!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: