Covered porch structural question

Old 08-14-21, 10:00 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Covered porch structural question

Hi,

I bought this house in Austin, TX in 2017. Built in ‘60’s. It has a 20’x25’ fully roofed back porch. Which is nice. But it is covered in old, dark paneling. I’d like to lighten it up and maybe expose beams to give more modern look.

Today I took off the paneling on the far (north facing) side of the porch. It was insulated, guessing the previous owner had in mind sometime to enclose it? The exposed wood looks more modern than ‘60’s. And not exterior grade. Am I correct?

Anyway I kinda of like the extra light coming through. Since this wall faces north, not a real problem with direct sunlight.

Can I cut out those current 2x4’s without structural issue?

This is interior wood. It was felt papered beneath paneling. I assume I’ll need to cover the structural beams back up in a case of felt paper and an exterior wood?

It was thick paneling, which a construction buddy of mine said might have added to structural. Is that true? He suggested adding a few slanted beams lag bolted from middle bottom of horizontal and vertical beams, extending to middle rise of each triangle, and another from there slanted back to horizontal beam. If it’s fine the way it is I like more open but see his point.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 08-14-21, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The "paneling" was probably 303 plywood siding which is typically 5/8" thick and exterior grade, and yes, it can double as structural sheathing. It also adds to the wind resistance of the structure. The gable end is weaker without it, yes. A structural engineer would have to evaluate any structural changes as far as permanently removing any sheathing or framing. But I would say no, you should not permanently remove any sheathing or framing... however the insulation was pointless.

Maybe it's just the photo but that header looks bowed. (Delflection) Put a string line on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: