Shed planning code / permit question

Old 10-10-21, 01:40 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shed planning code / permit question

Hey all, I am looking to plan a build for a 12x16 shed in my back yard and was wondering what I should expect regarding codes and permits. I plan on calling the town office as soon as they are open but in the meantime if anyone has some useful insight i'd be all ears. Im in Maine. I am pretty sure a permit is required but think I have to go in to fill it out in person. Pretty sure they will ask about size of shed and setbacks. For a shed with no electrical or plumbing, are inspections required at any time during the building process, or is it just a matter of getting the permit and then start building?

Old 10-10-21, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
There is no way for us to know what is required in your local area. In some jurisdictions, a public notice has to be posted for X amount of days as a legality before proceeding.

Often the size of the shed will dictate whether or not permits and inspections are required... once a shed reaches a certain size they treat it more like a house / permanent structure. But this too varies by locale.

Old 10-10-21, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Where I live a permit is required. Apparently the main two reasons are to make money and to make sure it's not too close to the property line. There wasn't any inspection of foundation or installation.

Old 10-10-21, 03:10 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks PjMax that is kind of what I was wondering. I think Ill give them a call Tuesday

Old 10-11-21, 12:17 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
We have a size limit dictated by the state, anything under 250 sq ft does not require a permit but the township needs a site plan. The thinking is that people install small storage sheds so they are not stick built.

For something that size your going to need construction drawings and a site plan and it will most likely require a slab with rat wall. Fully inspected during the construction phase.

But as noted it all depends on where you live and how detailed they are!

I'll bet all that information is on their website!

Old 10-11-21, 02:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As noted codes vary by location. Locally we have to get a permit for any shed that exceeds 100 sq ft or has a permanent foundation. If no utilities are hooked up to the shed or concrete foundation the only inspection is a site inspection to insure the set back requirements are met.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: