Decent paint for fiberglass exterior doors?

Old 10-25-21, 06:16 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Decent paint for fiberglass exterior doors?

My new shed (built in Feb this year) has double fiberglass doors. The trim on my shed is white, so I had left the doors unpainted since they matched. But today I noticed that they were turning quite gray - mildew is what it looks like, yet they are in full sun (they face west/southwest) most of the day. I sprayed/cleaned them today, and googled the issue, and apparently I am supposed to paint a fiberglass door. Oops. So okay, what is a good paint to use? As someone that uses nothing but BM in my house, I don't think I need to use that expensive a paint on just shed doors. To be clear, this is a NICE shed, I mean it looks like a small house, but I think a less expensive paint, for the doors, would be okay.

Are there paints that work better on fiberglass doors? I noticed that HD has a paint called "front door paint". Lowe's has something called Valspar Pro Storm Coat..

Old 10-25-21, 10:37 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
As someone that uses nothing but BM in my house
You use the good stuff and apparently are happy but now considering something from a BBS that sells by price point not quality.

You should just buy some really crappy Behr paint and then you will really be disappointed with it's performance but heck you saved a few bucks.

Stay with the good stuff. Nothing really unique about fiberglass, as always it's the prep that counts.

Old 10-26-21, 04:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree with using a quality paint. It doesn't have to be BM. Most any quality latex house paint with a sheen will do a good job.

Old 10-26-21, 05:22 AM
"You should just buy some really crappy Behr paint and then you will really be disappointed with it's performance but heck you saved a few bucks."

I am not concerned with "saving a few bucks". I just thought it might be overkill for a shed. But thanks for your thoughts. Sheesh.

"I agree with using a quality paint. It doesn't have to be BM. Most any quality latex house paint with a sheen will do a good job."

Thank you.

Old 10-26-21, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It really depends on how long you want it to look good. A cheap paint may look just as good in the short term.

Old 10-26-21, 06:24 AM
Well I don't plan on moving. Not looking for "short term" paint LOL.

FWIW, I use Behr paint on my front porch and it lasts at least 6 years between paintings. I think that would be satisfactory for me, on the shed doors. Of course, I am a pretty meticulous painter so that probably helps.

Anyone have any suggestions for an actual specific paint? I just called our local BM and SW stores to ask, and I swear I got a kid at each store that was "ummm...." and "hmmmm well" and clearly neither had any experience with painting at all. Rather disappointing. I guess I will have to get in the car and drive out there to get someone that has some knowledge.

Looking at BM Moorglo or BM Aura Exterior. Any experiences with either of those?

Last edited by yardnut; 10-26-21 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-26-21, 11:08 AM
I just picked up a gallon of BM Moorglo. They had a 30% off sale this week. Should be fine. Won't need a gallon for the doors, but I need to repaint my front porch too so I can use it on that as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: