Fixed Garage Tilt

Old 12-19-22, 12:35 PM
Received 40 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Fixed Garage Tilt

A few years when my garage had a 2 inch gap at the opening on the right side of the garage, one of my friends who is a garage technician told me to slowly release one of the set screws on the drum of the affected side. I did this and the garage slowly lowered and it has been good ever since.

I have been thinking, had I release the set screws on the drum too much, what would happen? Would the double springs just unwind the entire thing and is this dangerous? He never told me to put winding bars on the springs to prevent it from unwinding.

This question came up since I have been watching videos on how to change out torsion springs.

Old 12-20-22, 05:33 AM
Received 1,062 Upvotes on 963 Posts
technician told me to slowly release one of the set screws on the drum of the affected side
So to be sure, you're talking about a set screw on a pully/shaft on a high tension, spring wound, garage door lift system with no safety systems to prevent the entire system from instantly releasing all that potential energy?

Garage doors are one item I leave to pro's, I value the digits on my hands! Assuming you made it out un-hurt I think we could file this in the "do not attempt" category!

Old 12-20-22, 06:28 AM
Liar! I know you meant the "dumb DIY user" category.

Exactly, why I posted this question. When he was at my house, that is what he did. Then when it happened a second time months later, he told me to do the same thing. But after watching all of these videos, it made me to questioned.

I did see another video where it did the same thing but they did use the winding bars for safety.

Old 12-20-22, 07:49 AM
B
Received 227 Upvotes on 201 Posts
I hope your friend is not a garage door technician. That was bad advice.

Old 12-20-22, 02:35 PM
Bob, unfortunately, he is and gets paid pretty well. When I saw him doing it the first time, I didn't think much of it. When I called him to come over and readjust it, he told me that he has too many clients that day but just to unscrew the set screw on the drum slowly until I see the gap goes away. I was a bit concern but didn't think much of it until watching these recent videos, realizing how crazy I was.

Old 12-21-22, 03:21 AM
Received 37 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Slipping a drum is dangerous and should not be done to "off level" a door to seal up a gap under the door, there are better was to accomplish this, like a larger bottom rubber weather seal or adjustable retainer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: