Advice needed on new Amish shed floor protection

Old 12-31-22, 01:19 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Advice needed on new Amish shed floor protection

Got a new Amish style prebuilt workshop to store an ATV and bicycles in (for now). Iím getting mixed reactions when I mention painting the plywood floor.

So, paint or just lay down tarps?

Old 12-31-22, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,342 Upvotes on 3,001 Posts
What you cover the floor with depends on the current finish. If it's treated lumber like mine was.... maybe a type of clear coat. What do you want the coating to accomplish ? A tarp is a pain in the neck on the floor. We clearcoated my fathers shed and he uses the cardboard from appliances to make a "parking area" for the snowblower and lawnmower. Keeps the gas an oil from staining the wood. Easy to change when needed.

Old 12-31-22, 03:12 PM
C
Floor paint reply

Thanks so much. You know, Iím not sure if itís treated; I know the floor joists are pressure treated. Good question. Iíll have to research that. I really just want to protect the floor from possible stains to be honest and traffic marks . I already ran the ATV up in there and laid marks on the bare wood Ö we painted a wooden car shed floor gray years ago that we have a antique car in that the paint has done fine but the car never really leaves the garage much. The shed where the ATV will be in will get much more in and out traffic and my paint guy said he thought the aggressive tires of the four wheeler would peel the paint. A clear coat is a good idea, something I hadnít thought of; with some cardboard like you suggested.

Old 01-01-23, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
Be nice to know what type of wood the floor is but I'd consider a deck stain.

Old 01-01-23, 06:30 AM
Received 1,062 Upvotes on 963 Posts
Your trying to solve a cosmetic problem as the marks really are not causing any damage, and no coating is going to stop that from happening.

If you really want to protect the floor get a rubber mat.

https://www.amazon.com/10L0L-Garage-.../dp/B0B685TJF8

Old 01-01-23, 11:31 AM
C
Thanks everyoneÖmore info on type of floor

Thank you everyone for your help. I looked it up and the flooring is 5/8 5-ply plywood. (Floor joists are 2x4 -16 pressure treated on center and foundation is 4x4 pressure treated.)

Old 01-02-23, 03:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
I'd use a deck stain as it's the easiest/quickest. Porch and deck enamel will give more protection but it will need to 2 coats. If you go with it, thin the first coat about 10% for a primer and then apply the top coat full strength.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: