LiftMaster MyQ Power Goes Out

Old 02-17-24, 11:22 AM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LiftMaster MyQ Power Goes Out

Model:
8160W / 8160WB Contractor Series Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener

Hello, DIY beginner here, no knowledge of anything outside of the one youtube video I saw about replacing a Chamberlain garage door opener.

I have a LiftMaster MyQ that works perfectly fine, except that the power goes out after about 5 hours, and any time I have to use it I have to hit the reset button on the wall outlet, the opener powers on again, works as intended, and then powers off after about 5 hours. Rinse and repeat.

I plugged in a lamp overnight in the outlet the opener is connected to, and it remained on, did not trip anything. So I am assuming it is the opener.

My question is, what might be the issue? Would I be able to work some DIY on this current opener, or should I go and buy a replacement?

On replacements, I'm not seeing my opener (2019 model). If I were to get a newer model, I might run the risk of measurements with the current bracket being off and need a whole new unit with rails/bracket, etc.?

Old 02-17-24, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
First thing I would try it to replace the gfci outlet. They don't last forever. Yours is 15 amp, TR (tamper resistant).

ozymandyas voted this post useful.
Old 02-17-24, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,996 Upvotes on 3,586 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like the operator is running a program.
You'll need to download the app to modify or change it...... My Q app

Old 02-18-24, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
Guess I thought the gfci was tripping.

Old 02-19-24, 02:19 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
I would first try a different power source, try plugging it into a heavy duty extension cord plugged into a different circuit. This might be one of the units that do a power save by turning off the LED's on the photo eye sensors but still should work on command. It could be a faulty circuit board with a bad solder joint. A new opener will bolt right into place provided it's the same length( door height)

Old 02-19-24, 01:02 PM
O
PJmax could you elaborate on the operator thing? I have the app but I do not see anything about an operator/operations or even anything beyond basic access options. I do not have any schedules running, everything is pretty much stock on the app except for the basic setup.

Doorman2722 I just plugged it into my house with extension cord. Opened and closed fine for now. I will report back at a later time. I believe the circuit board is this: Liftmaster 050DCTWFLK / 50DCTWFLK Receiver Logic Board, DC, WiFi, Lock Capable | eBay? It costs about half as much as a new opener without belt or other stuff.

XSleeper I think that might be beyond my level of expertise but will explore if necessary.

Just noticed the extra s at the end of my username, that was an accident.

Last edited by ozymandyas; 02-19-24 at 02:03 PM. Reason: wrong @
Old 02-19-24, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,996 Upvotes on 3,586 Posts
That should be ozymandyas ? I'll put in for a correction.

Old 02-20-24, 04:08 PM
O
Thank you Pjmax.

UPDATE!!! The garage door Opener is working perfectly, no shut offs, when plugged inside my house via extension cord. Thanks for the idea Doorman2722 !

So I'm guessing this is more an electrical issue with the garage. Possibly the outlet thing XSleeper mentioned.

Where do I go from here?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: