Garage door buckled

Old 05-21-24, 08:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage door buckled

Garage door has been making a loud bang the last few weeks. I took a look and it is not from the springs or rollers. 2 of the horizontal panels are touching and that is what the sound comes from. You can see that this area dips and is not flat. I am afraid that the part of the door broke off from the steel brace.

Top Answer

05-21-24, 09:25 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,265 Upvotes on 2,018 Posts
Luckily some moderators are able to see your pictures. I think your second photo is the most important. When the door is open the photo shows two door panels sagging dramatically in the center of the door. It is worst at the hinge area (the joint between panels). It could have been caused by someone backing into the door from the outside when it was closed or possibly high winds.

Many doors, especially two car width, have extra steel beams attached to the back side of the door panels to prevent them from sagging in the middle when up and from being bent inward when the door is down/closed.

This door looks like it has three installed. One at the very bottom and two higher up that are easy to see. I believe it's a requirement in hurricane prone areas to meet code.

If your door panels aren't damaged too badly you can push the bent panels back into shape (straight) then attach these reinforcing beams to the inside to hold it straight.

Old 05-21-24, 08:05 AM
Old 05-21-24, 08:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Pictures are not displaying at the moment. If you can, a more detailed description might help in the meantime.

Old 05-21-24, 09:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Luckily some moderators are able to see your pictures. I think your second photo is the most important. When the door is open the photo shows two door panels sagging dramatically in the center of the door. It is worst at the hinge area (the joint between panels). It could have been caused by someone backing into the door from the outside when it was closed or possibly high winds.

Many doors, especially two car width, have extra steel beams attached to the back side of the door panels to prevent them from sagging in the middle when up and from being bent inward when the door is down/closed.

This door looks like it has three installed. One at the very bottom and two higher up that are easy to see. I believe it's a requirement in hurricane prone areas to meet code.

If your door panels aren't damaged too badly you can push the bent panels back into shape (straight) then attach these reinforcing beams to the inside to hold it straight.

sdodder, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 05-21-24, 11:05 AM
Closer images

Light comes through the white panel

Vertical bar has come unglued from door

Old 05-21-24, 11:07 AM

Actual cracks in the white panel that used to be held in place by bracket

Old 05-21-24, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
Replace the panels with new ones. Adding the braces once it's repaired is always a good idea.

Old 05-21-24, 11:16 AM
Outside garage

My son ran into garage along time ago

Old 05-21-24, 11:32 AM
Leaving door open

I think leaving the garage door open. Just lets gravity do his job and work its way on tearing up the panels.

Old 05-21-24, 11:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Only a few moderators are able to see your photos right now. But yes, your panel(s) are cracked/torn. As XSleeper mentioned replacing the panels with new ones is the best route. Your son probably cracked the panels when he hit it and over time and the repeated opening and closing caused the cracks to grow until the panel lost all it's strength.

Old 05-21-24, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Received 74 Upvotes on 52 Posts
A fix for the images is being worked on and will be rolled out asap.

Old 05-24-24, 10:08 AM
Good news

Good news, called the garage door company, and they installed two horizontal rails, which cost significantly less than a new door

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: