Garage Door Is Dorked, Won't Open/Close Properly

Old 05-25-24, 06:33 PM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Garage Door Is Dorked, Won't Open/Close Properly

I have a 9-foot garage door with one torsion spring going across the top. The door has four panels. It has an automatic door opener on it. For years something has been making a light bang just about a foot from the fully open position to a foot from the fully lowered position when I operate the door. When closed, the door seats against the garage floor nicely, and the auto-reverse also operates correctly.

When I last lowered the door I heard a somewhat loud noise when the door bottom was about a foot or so from the floor. With the door opener disconnected from the door there is a binding when the door bottom is about 2 feet off the floor.

Looking at the door from the inside of the garage it has been rotated clockwise such that when the bottom right corner hits the floor, the bottom left corner is about 8 inches off the floor, and the right-hand cable is off the pulley. It is difficult to manually raise and lower the door past this point but I can do it. I've tried without success to straighten the door. Raising the door by putting a jack under the lower right corner raises the entire door.

I've checked the tracks with a level. The vertical parts are perfectly plumb both side to side and top to bottom. The horizontal parts are correctly spaced from each other and are parallel to the ground. None of the track's assembly bolts are loose or have worked themselves to different positions. None of the rollers are binding. I've only had a cursory look at the spring but I can't say that it's broken.

One more thing... When the door is down and both lift cables have the same tension on them, and I loosen and try to turn the right hand pulley in an attempt to lift the bottom right corner of the door so it's level with the other side, the entire door stays crooked and moves.

QUESTION 1: What can I check before I take a closer look at the spring?

QUESTION 2: How do I measure the spring length and the coil diameter so that I buy the correct spring at the box store?

Last edited by Pipsisiwah; 05-25-24 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-26-24, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,111 Upvotes on 3,692 Posts
There are some things that I consider to be none DIY projects.
One of them is garage door torsion springs.

It sounds like one of yours broke. The cable would come off the pulley.
I'd highly recommend calling a garage door company.

Old 05-26-24, 12:13 PM
P
I understand your concerns. I am familiar with torsion springs, their dangers, the required tools to replace them, how to replace them, and where to buy them.
I do not know if my spring is broken. I do know that one bottom corner is 8 inches higher than the other when the door touches the floor.
I do know that the door has been rotated a few degrees clockwise and lifting the lowest corner lifts the entire door.
I do not live closer than an hour to the local box stores so I need to be sure that my spring is broken.

Old 06-01-24, 08:16 AM
P
UPDATE:
I was able to straighten the door by lowering the door to the floor and then removing the tension from the torsion spring. Then I reattached the two cables to the drums on the torsion spring rod and re-tensioned the spring. Now the door is straight and it opens correctly. And quieter. Dunno what caused the original problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: