Garage need vents added?

Old 09-07-01, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
I can't find my first post, so here it goes again. I have a 22x28 ft garage with no roof or soffit vents. I would like to add drywall to the inside, ceiling and walls. Should I try to add vents to the "attic" area some how or does it really matter if I don't plan on heating or cooling the garage. I live in the northern part of Iowa, hot summers and cold winters. Thanks for any replies! Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-01, 09:45 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air flow is merely a safety consideration. A gable vent on each end or a couple of turbines on a hip roof.

Old 09-10-01, 04:14 AM
Visiting Guest
What type of safety issues are we talking? Can the attic area get so hot in the summer to cause a fire with out vents? Or are we talking just too hot for humans to be in that area, which I never would be. I'd like to know before I cut the vinyl siding to add vents on the ends.

Thanks! Mark

Old 09-10-01, 06:39 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you were to have the job inspected, I am betting that you would be required to vent. Not so much for the human comfort, but more for the heat of the trapped air in the attic that you will have created.Air flow is a good thing.

For the amount of effort required I would suggest slapping one in. You can just cut to fit and trim it out from the exterior.

good luck
ryk

Old 09-11-01, 03:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help, I'll buy a couple of vents this weekend and put them in.

Mark