Workbench Counter Top Options?

Old 10-24-01, 01:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello,

I am in the midst of remodeling my garage with several new cabinets and a workbench. The original plan involved the installation of a stainless steel counter top. However, after seeing how expensive this item was to have someone else install it, I have deceided to take on the project myself. Any tips from anyone who has already done something like this? How about the cost?

If this route still proves to be too expensive, what other durable workbench options are recommended besides raw wood or particleboard? I want something that looks good and can take the abuse of a workshop environment...

Live, love, and laugh!
Z-Man.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-01, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norm suggests hardboard

Norm Abrams suggests a hardboard top. They are inexpensive and can be easily replaced if damaged.

Old 10-25-01, 12:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Workbench counter top

I'm contemplating a similar project for my utility room. One of the best suggestions I got was base, unfinished kitchen cabinets/drawers with an unfinished, hardwood, solid door for the countertop. I priced it all up at Home Depot and it's coming in at just over $300.

Old 10-26-01, 06:35 AM
kliot
Visiting Guest
My favorite workshop counter surface is 1/4" Tempered Masonite on top of 3/4" plywood. The masonite gives an attractive smooth durable hard surface that should last for years. If and when it wears out and mine never has, it's cheap and easy to replace. A 4x8 sheet runs around $15.00

Old 10-26-01, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just a thought here, if you are set on a stainless steal top. Look to see if there is a military base near by and call DRMO (Defense Reutilization Management Office) or recycle yard. These places usually have tops which have been removed for hospitol, chow halls or places like that. They are in good shape, you just have to find the size you want. Some even have the legs and shelfs under them, all you have to do is secure them to the floor and wall.
In any event, it brings the cost way down!!!!!