garage door openers

Old 11-17-01, 02:00 PM
Visiting Guest
garage door openers

What is everyone's experience with particular garage door openers? Any brands recommended? Any brands to avoid?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-01, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vader13,
I can't say for sure wich brand may be considered best, I have a 20 yr old Craftsman. But what is really nice and sould be considered is the Genie remote sytem. I installed the remote keypad(4 digit pin code entry) to the outside of the garage door frame. This way you are never locked out. So the Genie mechanics may be a good match.
fred

Old 11-19-01, 07:22 AM
Visiting Guest
There is no part that Gennie has that craftsman dont have.Gennie will open the door yes but its parts are crap and hard to install.No one can compare to Sears for prices.

Old 11-20-01, 07:49 AM
Alster
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Craftsman

I would go with a craftsman. I've installed 4 in various houses, never had a problem. You can usually get the key pad along with the opener, just keep an eye out for the flyer from Sears.

Old 11-20-01, 08:37 AM
kliot
Visiting Guest
I have a Gennie worm drive and it works fine but it's NOISY, and wouldn't buy another Gennie because of it.

Old 11-20-01, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
All,
An interesting thought: the Crafsmans are probably made by Stanley or maybe even Genie - go figure.
fred

Old 12-04-01, 04:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No....most are made by Chamberlain. If the model # starts with 139, it's a Chamberlain:

www.chamberlaingroup.com

I too have a 1979 isse Sears (was called Sears Best back then) and the only thing I had to replace was the light contact switch (a 9 dollar part) twice and some bulbs.

My sister's Sears is now on the fritz. "Skips" going up. I have to talk to her and guide her through the repair .