Buyer Beware

Old 01-28-02, 05:49 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Buyer Beware

I ran into a very interesting situation today, and I thought I would share it with you in hopes you DIY'ers don't have the same problem. I am just finishing a new home, and today was the day to install the garage door. My guys started to install the door, and one of them came to me and asked me where my sawsall was. I told him and then after about 30 seconds, I went over and asked them what they needed it for. I said you should not need that tool for this job. They said they had to cut out one of the jack studs as the door channel did not fit. I thought that very odd, and I looked at the frame, and then I immediately looked at the spring. They were side springs, not overhead springs. I told my guys that this is the wrong hardware for this door. They argued with me, but I won, and we loaded the door and hardware in the pickup and took it back to the store. The door guy would not believe me, so I showed him. He could not believe it. He then checked 12 other door hardware boxes and they were all the same. Wrong hardware for the door. A big factory error. The wrong hardware would have fit but would have taken alot of work to make it fit right and then would not have been a perfect job. To someone who does not work with garage doors everyday, they would possibly not have noticed this and had a real nightmare. So when buying a new door and hardware, make sure you know wheather you want to buy overhead springs or side springs and check before you start installing. It could save you alot of time and headaches. Have a good day everyone.

Old 01-29-02, 04:07 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Hey Jack,

What did you mean by "side" springs......do they install vertically on the door jamb inside ? Only kind like that I've ever seen is on the old kick out, single pc doors that mounted that way....I didn't think anybody was still making them.....

Just curious....

andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: