Single car garage to...

Old 02-03-02, 07:46 PM
driad
Visiting Guest
Question Single car garage to...

A completely sounded proof studio...

What sorts of things do I need to know before I under take this project?

The garage was built in 1993 and is on a slab. It is just the basic structure- no finished walls etc.

The plan is to triple dry wall the walls but I am not sure how to completey insulate the ceiling for sound... (this is the main hrudle)... any ideas?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-02, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
One tip I can think of is that you will need to isolate the various layers to prevent sound transmission. This is done by installing a z-channel material between the drywall and the studs; otherwise you could put ten layers of drywall and the sound would still travel right trough the studs and drywall.

Old 02-05-02, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only way to make a room sound proof ( or close to it) would be to make sure the inner wall and the outer wall don't touch. That means insulating the outer wall, building a new wall inside not touching the outer one, putting some rubber gasket to dampen the floor vibrations on the new wall, and such. Fiberglass is not a good sound insulator. There are much better insulators out there. Drywall will block sound, but it will allow the lower end frequencies, and the higher end.