2 Car Garage Cost

Old 02-03-02, 09:56 PM
WolskiDK
Visiting Guest
2 Car Garage Cost

I know this is going to be a hard question to answer, but Ill ask it anyway
Im looking to have a garage built, and just wondering what the average price people have/could expect to pay. There isn't any concrete where it would be built, so that would need to be layed as well. Im thinking vinyl sided, but the garage will be in Michigan, so any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks a lot, sorry for the lack of info
If there is anything that I left out that might help you give me a proper estimate, please let me know and Ill get back to you in a jiffy.

Old 02-05-02, 10:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The easiest way would be for you to call a few construction companies and ask for a price. I think Vinyl siding is the best, it's very low maintenance. I don't like aluminum very much, it tends to bend when you hit it.

Old 02-05-02, 05:56 PM
Give me the size of your garage, how many car doors, and what size, how many windows, and passage doors. I will get back to you as quick as I can. Also what height of walls.

Old 02-12-02, 06:24 PM
Shortstop: I am sorry to tell you this, but you cannot advertise like you just did in your last post. Any further advertisements of this nature, I will personally delete them.

Old 07-23-04, 09:26 AM
Feggui
Visiting Guest
How about a ...

25X30
2 "normal size" garage doors no power
2 windows
1 door

What would that cost?
Thanks

Old 08-02-04, 02:39 PM
carvinwalls
Visiting Guest
my guess would be around $15K

Old 08-06-04, 12:54 PM
Does that estimate include a concrete slab?

Old 08-06-04, 01:22 PM
I'm finishing up a 20 x 24, 9 ft ceiling, 6-12 roof (trusses), 4, 3-0/3-0 windows, a 9-lite entry door and a 16x7 garage door with 100 amp service. I have done all the work myself and I'm up to about $5000. All I have left is vinyl and I'm guessing that'll be another $1000 or so. I talked to some contractors and they wanted between $10 and $14K and that didn't include electric.
Most of my technical assistance has been from the good folks on this site.
Currently hanging in the "electric" forum...

Old 08-06-04, 09:51 PM
J
Jack, heres a little something for you to smile about regarding shortstop's advertising....i just tried the link....its broken...I guess things always work out the way they should.

Old 08-08-04, 11:20 PM
SSR
Visiting Guest
I just had a 24 x 30 w/ 9 ft. ceiling that cost 14K w/o electric. I did the electric and ran the gas line myself. The electric isn't that hard, all you technically need is a couple outlets, a light inside, and a light outside. You can add as much or as little as you want. And there are many different options if you don't feel like you are up to bending conduit.

Old 08-09-04, 01:13 PM
justinmc
Visiting Guest
I'm researching building something similar myself.

The concrete slab is going to be a little expensive and if you live in a area prone to freeze you might want to look at a couple of different options (footers vs. modern insulated slab on grade) to keep the slab from cracking and freezing.

If you just using the garage to park in then I would put a minimum of 2 outlets on each wall but if your going to be using it as shop space you'll want them about every 36" especially on any wall with a workbench. Take into consideration what you'll be doing with the space for lighting options as well. A single bare bulb (or two) might work fine for a glorified parking space but sucks when your trying to do any sort of work.

I'm still working out budget considerations on mine but I'll let you know what I come up with to build it.. I think the biggest cost is going to be in the slab since I'll have to have that contracted. Also the roofing material isn't cheap.

Old 11-13-04, 12:28 AM
Wheel
Visiting Guest
Building a Garage

Hello,
I'm moving to a new home and will have to build another garage. I'm hoping to build it at least 30'x30' but cost will tell. I'm thinking about building it out of cinder block. One reason is I would like a wood stove and cinder block don't burn. Another reason is I really don't like siding. If I had to go with siding, I will use vinyl to match the house.
Anyone have any thoughts on cinder block?
Thanks, Wheel

Old 11-18-04, 01:33 PM
2traps
Visiting Guest
new garage cost

A 20x20 around Chicago can range from 12k to 39k. Unless you are into other projects where a builder can make you a package deal, then go with a garage company on your terms. In other words, beef up their base package and consider adding some concrete or a nicer siding and roof. Even with the upgrades...they are still well below general contractors.
Find out Exactly what is required from your village/city...and ask many many simple stupid questions to be specific about the most obvious things in order to proceed smoothly. For example, some require use of an architect for plans and some don't. Find out if there are any restrictions you didn't know about on your lot like an easement you didn't know about.
You could have separate deals various contractors and save money...but if I could do it again, I would go with the discount guy and have them follow my plans instead...one contractor, less money less hassle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: