Garage Door Torsion Spring

Old 02-06-02, 02:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Garage Door Torsion Spring

I am planning to install a new garage door. What tools are needed to control/tighten the torsion spring? Do I need to purchase special tools to do this? This is the only aspect of installing the door I am concerned with, mainly for safety reasons.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-02, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And for a very good reason. Setting the torsion spring is very dangerous. A very easy way to lose a finger or and eye. Yes it does require a few extra tools. As moderator of this forum, it is our policy not to tell people how to do things which are very dangerous. This is one of the most dangerous. I would get everything installed except the spring and call a garage door man to set the tension spring. He can do it quicker then you can get your tools together. He won't charge much either. Your family will be much happier with this decision.

Old 02-06-02, 07:05 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Depends on the door you buy. The older type torsion spring doors, you had to take a couple of bars and "wind" the spring on each side, then hold it with one bar while you tighten a locking bolt...plus you had to mark them with chaulk to see how many turns you wound it and so on......and Jack is right.....it's a cocked gun waiting too beat your lights out if you don't know what you're doing.

But, I've installed some newer, more user friendly ones lately that use a nice numbered dial and you wind the spring with a small electric hand drill.....there were very good instructions in the book that comes with the door. These were designed for the average DIY person to intall and aren't too bad.