How To Build A Garage Door?

Old 02-06-02, 09:32 PM
deaggie73
Visiting Guest
How To Build A Garage Door?

My garage door needs to be replaced and I am thinking of custom building my own. Need a four panel 7' X 9'. I am thinking of a faux carriage door look. Are there books or website links you can point me to for plans and construction tips, best materials to use, etc. Want to make sure door design/construction is functionally sound. Also will open with screw drive overhead opener. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-02, 04:17 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Not to say you can't do it, but one thing you'll need to watch for is matching spring to the weight of your door. Maunfacturers match their springs to the weight of the door and you would have to do the same.

Old 02-07-02, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you want to build your own garage door more power to you.
Many have tried. Few successes. The reason is balance. Your whole door must be balanced in order to open properly. In addition your spring will be probably the end of the line. There are 156 different types of garage door torsion springs. Each one is for a different door. The springs are selected based on balance, weight, and door size. If you have the wrong spring, your door will not work. You can't just go to the store and buy your springs. They come in kits. Usually special order. Good Luck

Old 02-16-02, 04:53 PM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
Been busy but..

Having made a number of custom doors, and custom mistakes in the process, we have it down to a semi production process. We make two piece and three piece doors. They can be made to simulate carriage doors, coach doors, or just to look damn nice.

Your best bet, if you're determined, is a two piece, one third top, two thirds bottom. Quality material, and solid joinery technique are critical. As others have stated, weight is an issue, in order to match springs. 7 by 9 should not be too difficult to build, but don't even consider installing it yourself. I don't know where you are, but springs are custom cut. I've found .174 wire works best on a two piece, and your spring supplier will tailor length to weight. A screw drive will work, but for durability, a conventional half horse will serve you better. I can't stress enough, do not wind the springs, hire a door serviceman! And minimum 15" radius tracks.

Give a holler if you need some help.
P.S. I sell them for between $ 2800 and $5000 per door, because people like the look, so more power to you if you can do it yourself.

Good luck
Jack

Old 02-17-02, 07:25 AM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Jacksprat:

If you make a 7' high door with the 1/3--2/3 method you describe, the bottom panel is going to be about 4'8" tall. How do you get a panel that tall to turn in a track when a normal panel is about 21"......wouldn't the radius of the track have to be HUGE ??? or do you have some kind of trick "drop roller" hardware ( like low overhead kits use sometimes )

Just curious

andy

Old 02-17-02, 09:02 AM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

It wouldn't matter if you used a one piece 7 foot panel, with a roller on the top and a roller on the bottom, they simply "follow" each other around the radius, and you don't require any more headroom.