Genie Door Opener Installation

Old 02-10-02, 08:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Genie Door Opener Installation

I just replaced my Liftmaster with a Genie after the very old Liftmaster died. I installed the header bracket in the same location as the Liftmaster's and used the brackets that were already there to hold the opener.

My question: The old opener was installed about 20 inches off center. Will this impact anything?

The garage door is aluminum and didn't have a vertical center beam, so I assume that is why the header bracket was off center.
The old motor was 1/3 hp and the new one is 1/2 hp so I can't see why it would be impacted and the opener works fine.

Do you foresee any long term problems as a result of being off center?

Thank you.

RBH

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-02, 12:24 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Hmmm....the reason they are mounted in the center, I think, is to keep the door from opening "****-eyed" and binding in the track....but if you've had one on there for a long time and it didn't do it, there goes that theory .....guess go with what works !

Old 02-11-02, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can do as you like, but I would follow the directions to a T that came with my opener. If you don't, and your opener malufunctions, your warranty is null. What worked with your old opener, may not work with your new opener.

Old 02-11-02, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've seen a few wide doors with off center tracks and have not heard of a problem...
two suggestions:
1. Call the 800 number in the brochure and ask a Genie Tech
2. Attach a horizontal 1*4 or 1/4 steel bar across the span to mount the bracket in the center of..............