Garage Door

Old 02-21-02, 02:25 PM
dcommer
Visiting Guest
Garage Door Tension Spring

My current situation is that I have to reinstall my existing garage door. I presently have the door in three sections. My main question is the TENSION SPRING. I know it needs to be wound 7 revolutions, but am unsure of the order I need to work. Should I reinstall the door first? Then set my the two side cables? Then set the Spring? Please advise...I know I need to be very careful and take extra precaution.

Last edited by dcommer; 02-21-02 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-02, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do not mean to be sarcastic or a smart alac, but if you just had to ask me those questions, I am afraid as moderator of this forum,I will not be able to answer you. This is very dangerous stuff, even for professionals. And if you only have to tighten 7 turns, it makes it almost twice as dangerous. As moderator, I have to over see information going out, and make sure we do not put someone in danger. What you are doing is best done by a rpofessional. Not at all expensive. What will take them a few minutes, will take you a couple of hours. Sorry.

Old 02-22-02, 08:29 AM
dcommer
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jack

Not too expensive, I was quoted 250-300 bucks, that may not be a lot to you, but it sure is to me. If anyone else can give me an answer I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your concern Jack.

Old 02-22-02, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You must be having something more done then the springs. Throughout the industry, setting a torsion spring takes about 15 to 20 minutes and is less then $50.00. Even with the cables which is 10 minute job, it should not exceed $75.00. Your right if
they told you that much for just that little work, I would be calling someone who knew other then a garage door man. Maybe a local carpenter. This is just one of those dangerous jobs we do not tell folks how to do on this forum. Besides that if we did tell you, you would not have the tools to do it with. By the time you spent that money you could have had it done.