sliding garage door

Old 03-02-02, 05:52 AM
bassv
Visiting Guest
Unhappy sliding garage door

We need help! We want to buy or make a sliding garage door. Where can we get a blueprint? We do not have much clearance on top and the minivan just fits in. The sliding door is our only option. Any help, direction, will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-02, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go to any home improvement store and look for plans for Pole Barns. They will have sliding door plans there. Menards now sells them in a kit. Good Luck

Old 03-06-02, 01:12 PM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Hey Jack!

Have had the need to build sliding doors. FYI insulated OHD sections make great sliders when hung vertically and back braced! They can be cut to length with a skill saw, metal blade, and the mounting is a breeze.

Old 03-06-02, 06:24 PM
bassv
Visiting Guest
Thank you. I have called Menards and they cannot help me. However, what are FYI insulated HOD panels? I am not very familiar with the abbreviations. Thank you so much for helping.
We are in Florida. Is that something that the Home depot or Lowes might carry?

Old 03-06-02, 06:55 PM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
Sorry about that Bassv; I had intended that for Jack the moderator, however...
FYI - for your information
OHD - overhead door

Barn door hardware ( sliding door ) is available at any OHD supplier, probably Home Depot too. If you look at the profile of most door sections, you will notice a ship lapped joint where the sections meet. Visualize the door turned 90 degrees so that the seams are now verticle. If the joints are epoxied, cut to size, and the back of the door braced with 3" wide pieces of flat strap, and struts, you have not a bad looking sliding door. Bit of a trick for the DIYer, takes five hands! LOL. I stipulated insulated sections because non-insulated are not rigid enough.

Food for thought if you like the idea.

Jack

Old 03-07-02, 03:30 AM
bassv
Visiting Guest
Thank you. We will try the OHD(OHGD).

Old 03-07-02, 01:09 PM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hey, stay in touch, let us know how it works out.

Jack