Fix possible dry rot problem

Old 03-14-02, 10:17 AM
Sturdy
Visiting Guest
Fix possible dry rot problem

Hi,

I had a double car garage built a couple years ago, stick with vinyl siding. Installation of the elec doors appears to be okay but I've noticed a little water puddles around the sill and studs of the door frame. The sill is treated but not the studs. I see the bottom of the studs are begining to darken where they get wet and dry rot appears inevitable.

I don't see how these doors can be made waterproof so a little leakage must be normal and common. Does anyone know how this potential problem can be corrected? Thanks.

Sturdy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-02, 04:22 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
It is hard to make a roll up door waterproof, but that is why the concrete is slope toward the exterior at that point....and it sounds like maybe your ISN'T.....short of doing some serious concrete grinding, I'm not sure WHAT you are going to do, but sounds like you better find something.

Old 03-18-02, 06:48 AM
Sturdy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Andy,

Slope would seem to be the answer. The ramps slopes steeply but begins evenly with the fron edge of the garage. Of course the door is inset about six inches and water collect and runs/puddles inside with heavy rain.

However, on closer inspection, I see the 2x4 that touches the concrete is not a load bearing stud but appears to be a spacer to mount the door. the actual studs are on top of the treated sill as they should be. Maybe the answer is to cut off the bottom of the spacer 2x4 so it isn't in the water. Won't stop the leak but at least should stop any dry rot.

Sturdy

Old 03-26-02, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulk?

What about just caulking around the stud? If you can seal it enough it might solve the problem. If not, you can still cut the stud later.

Old 03-27-02, 05:49 AM
Sturdy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Sandy. But I don't think caulk will resolve the problem. It would probably delay dry rot but water tends to puddle where the door meets the stud. It can't be sealed and the prevailing wind blows water inside. There is a vinyl "flap" that deflects direct blow-in but that just causes more water to run down and puddle.

The problem with cutting off the stud is that a gap will remain. I've been thinking about filling that gap with an epoxy filler as used on auto bodies.

Sturdy

Old 03-28-02, 06:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Evenly cut off all untreated studs above where any water could possibly wick up into them from the p-t sole plate, and hammer a piece of same-size pressure-treated lumber into the gaps.
You can do this even for load-bearing studs.
Just for grins, you could paint the bottom ends with an oil-based paint to seal them from water wick-up from the p-t sole plate to help prevent discoloration.
Should solve the problem.
Mike

Old 03-28-02, 06:46 AM
Sturdy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike,

Now, why didn't I think of that...

Sturdy