Garage insulation

Old 03-17-02, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage insulation

I have a detached garage that I use as my shop. It has a small gas furnance so I can use it in our North West winter. They insulated the walls with R- 13 batts. They did not install a ceiling, so my plans are to sheet rock it an add insulation. Since I donot heat it all the time and 60-65 degrees is fine I'm thinking about just using R-13 or R-19 batts. If I did R-38 I don't think it would ever pay for itself. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-02, 04:14 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
Sorta depends on you....I built my 35x75 shop and insulated the walls/ceilings to R-11, something that would be unacceptable to me for a house, but like you, I'm only in it sometimes and working then. I don't really want it much above 65, as I'm moving around and working. I heat mine with a wood stove and have 14' ceilings...it's no problem to keep it at 65. I have a bathroom and office with a couple of small electric basebd heaters that keep them what ever temp I want and don't allow the water to freeze if I don't go in the shop for a week in the winter.