finicky garage door opener

Old 03-23-02, 02:33 PM
kimberzin
Visiting Guest
Question finicky garage door opener

Can anyone help me? Whenever we use any of our remote garage door openers (from the car) the garage door goes down about two feet then stops and goes back up again. When we use the operator inside the garage it does the same thing, except when we hold the button down the whole time the door is descending. The door opens just fine from all the operators. Any idea what's going on? Is there a quick fix, or should we call Sears? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-02, 08:43 PM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
Ooops, sounds like your photo beam is not aligned.

Old 04-02-02, 11:25 AM
MJV
Visiting Guest
I had leaf fragments held up by spider webs blocking my door's electric eyes (the sensor installed near the ground for safety reasons to ensure that the door does not close down on a pet or a child ). Once I cleaned the sensors of the debris, the doors worked fine.

Old 04-04-02, 03:13 PM
lisabtx
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem!

Only we do not have a detector safety beam so that can't be the problem. We have a Sears opener also. It will work fine for a couple of weeks and then it decides it will only open half way. The next time it may open 2 feet or maybe only 2". This is very annoying! We do not have an opener repair man in our town so if anyone can give us some troubleshooting tips before we have to pay a high trip charge, I would really appreciate it.
TIA!

Old 04-09-02, 05:07 PM
kliot
Visiting Guest
It sounds like a pressure issue, disconnect the door from the opener and make sure that it easily goes up and down manually. If it binds you will need to find out why and correct the problem, if it doesn't try adjusting the closing pressure screw slightly. Keep in mind that this is a safety feature and should not be over adjusted.