Garage Door Will Not Close

Old 04-08-02, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Garage Door Will Not Close

I have a problem with closing my garage door. The opener is made by Genie. I have to hold the button in the whole time while the door is going down. If I release the button before the door is all the way down the garage door opener stops. There is no problem with the door opening. I press the button and release it and the door opens. I do not have to hold the button in while it is opening, only while it is closing.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-02, 05:02 PM
kliot
Visiting Guest
It is most likely one of two things, the most likely is that the eyes are not aligned or something is blocking them or they are not working. If I recall one of them should have a red light on if they are hooked up correctly, trace the wire to make sure it has not been cut. The other thing that could be causing the problem is if the door close pressure is not set correctly or the door is binding. If the eyes appear to be ok unhook the door from the opener and make sure that it goes up and down freely, if it does try adjusting the closing pressure screw to apply more pressure.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-02, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I released the arm from the door and took the cover off the genie. I could see the motor, electronic circuit board and the DIP switch, however I did not see any adjustment screw or anything that looked liked it could be adjusted. The opener light came on while I was looking inside. After I put the cover back on I tried the door--IT WORKED, now the light will not shut off. Any ideas why the light will not turn off? Thanks

Old 04-10-02, 09:31 AM
kliot
Visiting Guest
You shouldn't have had to open up the opener to get to the adjusting screws, on my Genie the screws are located on the right side under the light bulb, I have to take off the light bulb cover to get to them but I don't have to open the unit. I'm glad to hear the opener is working now, I don't know why the light would stay on you might check out the Genie support page at http://www.geniecompany.com/Support/support.htm Did you check to see if you could easily open and close the door manually when it was disconnected from the opener?