cost of foundation/slab

Old 05-30-02, 01:40 PM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
cost of foundation/slab

Hi, I got a quote of $5700 for a 28' by 28', 2 car garage foundation, escavation, and slab. I'm in MA. Does this price sound reasonable? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-02, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
On the surface $7.27 per sq foot seems kind of high, but then maybe not. Lots of things to take into consideration. Like how far must the concrete come from ? How much dirt must be removed, how deep is your slab etc.

Old 05-31-02, 08:29 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
It's all grass where they're digging and it's already level. The concrete is local and I asked for a 6" slab, which he said would just be 2 extra yards. How's that?

Thanks!

Old 06-03-02, 08:14 PM
Good price, call him up and get to work.

Old 06-06-02, 04:12 PM
Captain_John
Visiting Guest
Ya, that ain't bad. I am doing mine with the assistance of my co-workers. The cost of the concrete is will be in the $3,000 vicinity alone.

If you have any doubts, get a second or a third price to compare it with. Where in MA are you? I am in Plymouth. I am doing 12" footings and 4' knee walls. I assume your design is the same. Is it?

Old 06-06-02, 04:20 PM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
I'm out in Leominster. I actually don't know that information yet. I need to find out what the cheapest way to do that is. Do you know? 2-car garage, no 2nd floor(except for attic)

Thanks

Old 06-06-02, 04:25 PM
Captain_John
Visiting Guest
Leominister... I am gonna say that he will want a design like the one I am doing. If you were out in North Adams or something, they would probably let a lesser foundation slide. Not that you would want one. The footings and knee walls are code for a reason. It puts the footings below the frost line.

Old 07-18-02, 02:13 AM
FROGG469
Visiting Guest
Question Price?

What is the price of concrete out there? I just got done with a 30x42 at 5" total cost of $2300!! Is there that much difference in the price. I'm in Missouri. Just wanting too know.. Also if your able too do the ground work, forums, and rebar yourself it will save a lot of cash.

Old 07-21-02, 01:05 PM
elleng
Visiting Guest
to bledsoe

Two extra yards of concrete won't get it for two extra inches. Figure it yourself: 28 x 28 =784 sq ft x 4 " = 261.3 cu ft =9.7 cu yd
784 sq ft x 6 " = 392 cu ft =14.5 cu yd, the diff. is about 5 cu yd.
If there are no footings (no permit?) then the price is high. With footings and the proper steel, and some grading it's ok.

Old 07-28-02, 07:16 PM
Captain_John
Visiting Guest
I am paying $65 per yard for 3000# 3/4" mix.

What is everyone else paying?

My fibermesh stuff will be more, but I am not sure how much more.

Old 07-29-02, 06:42 AM
Captain_John,
Do you buy already mixed concrete or you mix it your self for $65/cub yard?
FROGG469,
What is included in $2300? Permit, digging, footing, kneewall and slab?
For all experts,
If I buy already mixed concrete, do I need call the truck three times for footing, kneewall and slab? Any other suggestions?
I am in the process to decide DIY or call contractor for an attached garage. I did re-siding, re-roofing, frames, windows, doors, electrical, pluming and dry walls around my house, but I have never done fundation, slab and trusses.
I am thing have contractors do the fundation and trusses and I do the rest, seems reasonable?