Garage Building

Old 06-15-02, 10:36 AM
blgreen24
Visiting Guest
Garage Building

My wife and I just purchased a home that has a detached one car garage and we would like to tear it down to build a two car garage with a workroom. The garage is behind house and I have seen a few plans that I think will work, what should the next step in this process be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-02, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The first step would be to check with your building department and see if they have any requirements that you will have to meet.
Once these are in line, then taking down the old garage if this is what you are going to do, then get a concrete contractor to get your new floor and footings poured, then you can go shopping.
Build your garage in 4 foot increments that way you have less waste. If you have the room and funds, a 32x44 makes an excellent two car garage plus a shop. You can put three overhead doors in and also use it for a three car garage and still have a large shop area. You never have enough room in a garage. Good Luck

Old 06-17-02, 06:49 AM
blgreen24
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. This is our first home and so everything we deal with is a new experience.

Old 06-17-02, 09:43 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Check the setback requirements of your local municipality. You may find that once the old garage is down, you are not allowed to build as close to the property line again. Sometimes you can show that all of your neighbors have a similar setback and get a waiver.