Support/Bracing?

Old 06-22-02, 06:49 AM
evansgarr
Visiting Guest
Support/Bracing?

I have a 24 x 36 free standing shop which utilized 2x4 trusses, 24" oc and 2x4 stud walls, 16"oc.

I am desiring to mount an overhead hoist, which has a 440# capacity and need guidance on assuring that I get it properly supported.

I would like to mount it across two joist(2x4) which would only make my span 24". It would be mounted on a steel bar which in turn would be anchored across the joist. The desired location is about 8 to 10 feet out from a side wall. My desired mounting location aligns with the upper brace structure of the trusses and I even thought of placing chain on the mounting bar and extending it to the upward truss braces hoping to gain additional safety support.

I am really lost here and will appreciate any guidance avaialble.

Kind Regards,

Lou

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-02, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just to get you on the right track right out of the chute, do not even dream of attaching your hoist bar or for that matter your hoist to those 2x4 trusses. They will snap like a match stick. You will have to build a separate hoist frame out of alot stronger material. I would look at probably 4x6 posts and top piece. After you come up with another plan get back to us and we will help you more.