Baby Barn Shed

Old 06-23-02, 07:43 AM
GHT
Visiting Guest
Question Baby Barn Shed

I plan to construct a baby barn ten feet wide however I don't know the length (inside and outside) or the angles to cut the 2x4 for the trusses.

Can anyone help with this information please?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-02, 10:27 AM
timberbuilder
Visiting Guest
You haven't provided enough information to answer your questions. You first need to know the size that you intend to build. The length of the trusses is dependant upon the width of the structure and the slope of the roof pitch. first decide on the size of the building. Second decide on a roof slope. The more snow you get the steeper the roof slope, this prevents buildup of weight on the roof during the winter months.

Old 06-24-02, 03:27 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
If you're building a "barn" type roof ( gambrel ) that has a steep slope on the lower side and a gentle slope on the upper, here's how I do it:

I frame the floor, so I have the width of the building to work with.
Then I pop a chaulk line in the building center ( 5' from the edge in your case) and lay a couple of short 2x4s at whatever angle looks good to me for the lower and upper section of one half of the truss. (I usually build a 12' wide building, and I try to make the lower section of the truss work out exactly 4' long so when I put the plywood on the roof, there is no cutting or waste on that section. On a 10' wide building, you'll probably go a bit less than 4' or your upper section will look to small and out of proportion....but it's up to you.....do what looks good to YOU.....on a 10' wide building, you'll easily get both upper and lower sides out of one 8' 2x4)

Then I use a square to mark the angle where the steep section will eventually sit on the wall ( the horizontal cut ), then mark the angles where the two 2x4s meet, then mark the verticle cut where the chaulk line passes under the 2x4 pc that will be the upper most pc. Now you have 1/2 the truss. Cut these accurately for a pattern. Then cut a pair for each side of the truss, lay them on the floor to assemble. Make sure it is the same on both ways when you turn it over after assembly. I use plywood plates at the joints ( both sides except the end ones that would interfere with your siding or sheathing ) with subfloor glue ( Liquid Nails) and a BUNCH of 4p nails. Once you have one good truss made, lay it back down, nail some scrap 2x4s to the floor around the outside edges of your first truss to make a "jig" and each truss you build from there will be the same as the first.

Build one truss for each 2' (+ one for the end)of building length on a small building like this and you'll do fine.

Old 06-30-02, 03:44 AM
GHT
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you both for taking the time to provide the information. I've started my barn. It's 10' wide.[ It looks like the overall height will be around 8'7".
Once again thank you both.
G

QUOTE]Originally posted by Tn...Andy
If you're building a "barn" type roof ( gambrel ) that has a steep slope on the lower side and a gentle slope on the upper, here's how I do it:

I frame the floor, so I have the width of the building to work with.
Then I pop a chaulk line in the building center ( 5' from the edge in your case) and lay a couple of short 2x4s at whatever angle looks good to me for the lower and upper section of one half of the truss. (I usually build a 12' wide building, and I try to make the lower section of the truss work out exactly 4' long so when I put the plywood on the roof, there is no cutting or waste on that section. On a 10' wide building, you'll probably go a bit less than 4' or your upper section will look to small and out of proportion....but it's up to you.....do what looks good to YOU.....on a 10' wide building, you'll easily get both upper and lower sides out of one 8' 2x4)

Then I use a square to mark the angle where the steep section will eventually sit on the wall ( the horizontal cut ), then mark the angles where the two 2x4s meet, then mark the verticle cut where the chaulk line passes under the 2x4 pc that will be the upper most pc. Now you have 1/2 the truss. Cut these accurately for a pattern. Then cut a pair for each side of the truss, lay them on the floor to assemble. Make sure it is the same on both ways when you turn it over after assembly. I use plywood plates at the joints ( both sides except the end ones that would interfere with your siding or sheathing ) with subfloor glue ( Liquid Nails) and a BUNCH of 4p nails. Once you have one good truss made, lay it back down, nail some scrap 2x4s to the floor around the outside edges of your first truss to make a "jig" and each truss you build from there will be the same as the first.

Build one truss for each 2' (+ one for the end)of building length on a small building like this and you'll do fine.
[/QUOTE]