garage doors-finish question

Old 06-23-02, 05:55 PM
sambow
Visiting Guest
garage doors-finish question

I'd like to redo the finish on our garage doors; the existing veneer is beginning to peel from the panels. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-02, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Would help to know what type of doors you have....Assuming wooden, but if you give more detail someone will be able to help more.

Old 06-24-02, 05:12 AM
sambow
Visiting Guest
Smile

WOW! thx for the quick reply. Yea, the doors are wood panels 8' x 20 3/4 " x 1 1/2" with a veneer that's painted white. Some are beginning to peel at the bottom. I'd like to redo them by replacing the veneer, then re-paint w/a green. Can I accomplish this? Whenever I talk to others about it they seem humm and haww as to whether or not I can find veneer to redo them with. Thx again 4 your reply!

Old 06-24-02, 01:55 PM
Question

Is this a roll-up door? The panels are horizon to the deck? Or, is it a swing up door, with the panels, vertical to the deck? I am having some trouble picturing the door in my head.

Old 06-28-02, 12:52 PM
sambow
Visiting Guest
garage doors-3rd try

Thx again, Trying2Help, 4 your response. OK I'll try this again, hope it works! Ea. door has 4 panels that are horizontal to the deck. Consequently, I've found a local company that can help me out. I'm going to replace the existing veneer (that is stapled), with new stuff, this time ensuring it's glued. About $12.00/panel. Then I'm going to paint it a green that matches the pillars and shudders on the house. I'll re-install the panels then put in 4 half-moon shaped windows (2 ea door) that I found at a discount store ($175.00 for all 4). This is a lot better than $300.00 ea at the retail store and the windows are almost the same! Materials and hardware should run me about $325.00 CDN. Lot better than replacing w/new panels. It should be noted that the panels are still in good shape and have not fallen victim to rot.

Old 06-28-02, 12:55 PM
sambow
Visiting Guest
addition

OH! by the way. The garage doors are operated by a standard electric/chain drive that rolls up.

Old 06-28-02, 03:40 PM
Good to hear you got it all under control...I just love it when plan comes together!!!

Semper Fi..